- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASR Part 138 - Aerial work operations
Part 138 of CASR consolidates the requirements affecting aerial work operations that apply in addition to or in substitution for those required under Part 91. It also establishes the general standards for aerial work for both rotorcraft and aeroplanes.
Part 138 reflects CASA's policy that traditional aerial work operations will be classified, authorised and managed on the basis of the safety risk management of the activity being undertaken.
Who Part 138 affects
Part 138 affects operators who conduct aerial work in aeroplanes and rotorcraft involving any or all of the following specialised in-flight purposes:
- external Load operations, including but not limited to:
- the towing of objects
- rotorcraft sling load operations
- winching, rappelling, fast roping and suspended extraction operations from rotorcraft.
- dispensing operations, including but not limited to:
- discharge of projectiles
- discharge of objects
- discharge of material from a rotorcraft that is not an aerial application operation.
- task-specialised operations, including but not limited to:
- flights that require the carriage of task specialists
- flights requiring the use of specialised equipment
- flights requiring close proximity operations
- flights requiring confined or non-standard departure or landing sites
- search flights.
- emergency service operations, being duly authorised flights that involve:
- external load operations
- dispensing operations
- task-specialised operations for the purposes of saving and protection of life and property or the enforcement of Federal or State Laws.
- emergency service operations, including but not limited to:
- rotorcraft police operations
- rotorcraft search and rescue operations
- rotorcraft firefighting support operations
- training flights for the above operations where compliance with Part 91 without the alleviations within Part 138 would result in unrealistic or impractical training.
Projects are opened to revise a CASR Part.
Part 138 open projects include:
Consultation and project activities
Current rules in effect for Part 138 include:
- Part 138 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998.
Advisory material provide advice and guidance to explain particular regulatory requirements of a CASR Part.
There are currently no advisory documents for Part 138.