You must meet English language requirements to use an aeronautical radio. The aviation English language proficiency (AELP) assesses your verbal proficiency in English and aviation terminology.
Requirements to hold an AELP
You will need to hold a current AELP to get your:
- recreational pilot licence (RPL) with a flight radio endorsement
- private pilot licence (PPL)
- commercial pilot licence (CPL)
- air transport pilot licence (ATPL)
- flight engineer licence (FEL)
- air traffic controller (ATC) licence.
You will also need an AELP if you're: