Individual aviation reference numbers

You must have an individual ARN to access our services, or to hold any:

  • licence
  • permission
  • authorisation.

Apply for an individual ARN online

You can apply for your ARN online via the myCASA portal.

If you haven't used the myCASA portal before, you can create an account.

You must verify your identity to apply for an individual ARN unless you have logged into myCASA using your digital identity.

Most identity documents can be verified online when you apply, including:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • ImmiCard
  • foreign passport.

If you're using a foreign passport you must be in Australia for us to verify it online (unless you’re a permanent resident). To make the process easier, we recommend applying for your ARN after you arrive in Australia.

If your ID doesn’t automatically verify, you can upload a certified copy of the document instead.

Apply for an individual ARN by email

You can apply for an individual ARN by emailing a form to us, with copies of your identity documents.

If you don’t have a document that can be verified online, or are applying for an ARN outside Australia, you must verify your identify using 100 points of ID.

To do this complete the form and email it to us with certified copies of your identity documents:

Applications using Form 1162 may take about 20 business days to process.

If you don’t have 100 points of identification, call us on 131 757. We may need to ask an authorised referee to verify your identity on the form.

Making up 100 points of identification

Different types of identity documents are worth different points. You can use different combinations of documents to make up your 100 points.

Primary documents

You must provide at least one of the following (primary) documents. Foreign documents must be accompanied by an official translation.

70 points

  • Foreign passport (current)
  • Australian passport (current or expired within the last 2 years, but not cancelled)
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Full birth certificate (not extract)
  • Certificate of identity issued by the Australian Government to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia

40 points

  • Australian drivers licence/learner’s permit
  • Current (Australian) tertiary student ID card
  • Photo identification card issued for Australian regulatory purposes (for example aviation/maritime security ID or security industry ID)
  • Government employee ID (Australian federal/state/territory)
  • Defence Force ID card (with photo or signature)

Secondary documents

You must also provide 1 or more secondary documents. Foreign documents must be accompanied by an official translation.

40 points

  • Medicare card
  • Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) card
  • Centrelink card (with reference number)

25 points

  • Birth certificate extract
  • Birth card (NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages only)
  • Credit card or account card
  • Australian marriage certificate (Registry issue only)
  • Australian divorce certificate (Registry issue only)
  • Change of name certificate (Registry issue only)
  • Bank statement
  • Property lease agreement – current address
  • Taxation assessment notice
  • Australian mortgage documents
  • Rating authority – such as land rates
  • Utility bill – electricity, gas, telephone (less than 12 months old)
  • Reference from Indigenous organisation


    Last updated:
    13 May 2022
    Online version available at:
    Back to top of page