An aircraft type certificate (TC) confirms that an aircraft type design meets the required design standards.
Type Certificate applicants may benefit by contacting CASA early in the design process, to discuss the project and the timing of the formal application:
- An application for type certification of a transport category aircraft is effective for five years, from the lodgement date of the application form and the associated data
- For all other categories of product certification, the application is effective for three years
CASA officers will maintain confidentiality as required, and a project may be designated commercial-in-confidence from the outset if that is the wish of the applicant.
Before you begin
You will need the following information before you begin:
- Your details, including contact information for the proposed certificate holder
- Available preliminary details of the product (aircraft, aircraft engine or aircraft propeller), such as:
- a scale 3 view drawing, with major dimensions applied in metric units
- the projected maximum take-off weight (MTOW)
- the projected speed range
- the engine type and number of engines
- the type of structure, such as:
- all composite
- welded tube and fabric
- welded tube and conventional riveted alloy
- monocoque alloy
- the proposed number of occupants and seating arrangements
- as much detail as possible on any unconventional design features, such as:
- canard surfaces
- vee, tee, or boom tail surfaces
- ducted propeller
- unconventional control system
- unconventional structural methods.
Additionally, for aircraft engines:
- a description of the engine design feature
- the engine operating characteristics
- the proposed engine operating limitations.
- your aviation reference number.
Complete the form
Use Form 733 Application for a type certificate or supplemental type certificate.
Use this form if you are seeking approval of an:
- aircraft engine
- aircraft propeller.
We gather and store your information according to our privacy statement.
Submit the form
Submit your application and supporting documents to us by following the instructions in the form.
After you submit the form
We will review your application to ensure it is correct and complete. We will contact you if we need more information.
Pay the fee
We charge a fee for the assessment and inspection of your supporting documentation.
We'll send you an estimate of the costs to assess your application, based on an hourly rate.
You must pay the fee before we can process your application.
Cancel an application
To cancel your application after paying the fee, contact us in writing. We will charge costs for any work completed before you cancel.
Assessment timeframes vary and rely on:
- when we receive your payment
- the quality of your documents
- the availability of our resources.
We'll contact you with notice if we accept or decline your application.
We will calculate the actual costs of the assessment process. We will then either process a refund or raise an invoice if required.
If approved, we'll email you a copy and send the original by mail.
An application for a TC of a transport category aircraft is effective for five years, from the lodgement date of the application form and the associated data.
For all other categories of product certification, the application is effective for three years.
See AC 21-13 Type certification of Australian-designed aircraft for detailed guidance on TCs.