There are different forms depending on how long you plan to stay and the type of licence you have.
Staying 12 months or longer – apply to convert your licence
For most types of overseas flight crew licences, apply to convert your licence using this form:
If you're converting:
- a private pilot licence (PPL) – this is the only form you need.
- a flight crew licence other than a PPL – you must pass a conversion exam and, sometimes, a flight test.
You must do the Australian exams. We don't recognise foreign exam credits.
For overseas Flight Crew Balloon Licence holders, apply to convert your licence using this form:
We don't issue licences or pilot certificates for:
- ultra-light aircraft
- balloons for private flights.
Contact the relevant governing organisation for information on these licences.
Staying less than 12 months – apply for Certificate of Validation
You need permission to fly an Australian-registered aircraft on a short-term basis using an overseas pilot licence.
To apply for a Certificate of Validation based on foreign civil qualifications, use this form:
Your application should include:
- why you intend to be in Australia
- why you need a Certificate of Validation
- the type and registration mark of the aircraft you will fly
- ferrying operation details
- commercial operations details
- details of Australian training you will do.