- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
RPAS digital platform
The remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) digital platform was developed and introduced by CASA.
The platform provides a central source of trusted data, which includes:
- RPA-related advisories
- regulatory information.
Software developers can use this data to create third-party mobile and web-based apps, to help show users where it's safe and legal to fly a drone in Australia. As third-party apps are verified and released, we'll publish them on the drone safety apps page—with a link to the developer's website.
In future, the RPAS digital platform will expand to include a range of other services including:
- integration with our proposed drone registration and accreditation system
- submission of flight authorisation requests for licenced operators
- automation of requests to operate within 5.5 km of a controlled airport (usually those with a control tower)
- the building blocks for a future RPA traffic management system.
How to connect to the RPAS digital platform
Industry and software developers can apply to connect to the RPAS digital platform.
Application, approval and onboarding occurs twice per year. The first round applications closed on 10 December 2019. The next round of applications for onboarding will open in early-2020.
To connect to the platform, software developers will need to undergo a robust approval and onboarding process. This enables CASA to verify that proposed apps will deliver accurate information and meet the minimum technical requirements.
The requirements are set out in the following documents:
- Download RPAS platform - Software provider application (docx 443.68 KB)
- Download RPAS platform - Concept of operations (pdf 554.27 KB)
- Download RPAS platform - Operating rules (pdf 555.37 KB)
- Download RPAS platform - Example test procedure (pdf 479.51 KB)
- Download RPAS platform - Draft terms and conditions (pdf 930.87 KB)
Onboarding and application webinar
On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 we hosted a live and interactive information and Q and A session (webinar) about the onboarding and application process. Applications have now closed - you can watch a recording of the session on-demand.
Have a question? Need help? You can contact us through our online enquiry form.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest drone information and updates.