We have developed a free Safety Management System (SMS) kit for aviation.
The kit also includes a free, downloadable booklet specifically for drones, or remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS).
The kit outlines the structure of an SMS that follows International Civil Aviation Organization's safety management principles.
You can adapt the kit to suit your organisation's needs by downloading either the entire kit or its individual booklets.
To help you develop an SMS suitable for your needs, the kit contains:
- 9 booklets, including a specific RPAS booklet
- 2 drama videos.
Booklet 1 - Safety Management System basics
Provides an overview of SMS, including:
- why you need an SMS
- why an SMS is important
- how it benefits your organisation
- components of an SMS
- the role of human factors in SMS
- the role of SMS in RPAS
- implementing and evaluating an SMS.
Booklet 2 - Safety policy and objectives
Covers the role of management and a positive safety culture in the effectiveness of an organisation's SMS, including setting up roles and expectations. It also has information about:
- establishing clear policy guidelines
- fostering a safety culture and making sure everybody in the organisation supports the SMS.
Booklet 3 - Safety risk management
Explores how to identify the hazards in your organisation and how to mitigate risks, including:
- defining safety risk management
- identifying safety hazards
- mitigating safety hazards and risk management
- the concept of as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) and so far as is reasonably practicable (SFAIRP).
Booklet 4 - Safety assurance
This booklet covers assurance activities undertaken to determine if your SMS is operating according to expectations and requirements. Booklet 4 covers:
- monitoring and measuring safety performance
- safety audits and investigations
- management of change
- continuous improvement of your SMS.
Booklet 5 - Safety promotion
Explores the importance of safety training and communication, including:
- safety promotion
- identifying training needs
- creating a training plan
- evaluating training effectiveness
- safety communication strategies.
Booklet 6 - Human factors and human performance
Explores human factors and how they affect safety management, including:
- human performance limitations
- errors and error management
- the relationship between human performance and SMS.
Booklet 7 – Scaling for size and complexity
A short guide of SMS basics for smaller organisations. The booklet focuses on SMS implementation depending on the complexity of your operations, including:
- how to scale SMS elements according to size and complexity
- small, non-complex organisation considerations.
Booklet 8 – SMS resource kit
Provides some key guidance material and tools for the lifecycle of an SMS. From implementing to operating to continuous improvement for excellence. It also includes:
- SMS gap analysis tool
- 10 steps for SMS implementation
- SMS evaluation tool.
Booklet 9 - Safety Management Systems for RPAS
A short guide of SMS basics for Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) operators that focuses on SMS considerations within the RPAS environment, including:
- why you need an SMS and benefits for your organisation
- safety policies and objectives
- risk management and safety assurance
- safety promotion
- human factors integration.
You can watch our 2 videos, which feature a fictitious regional charter and training organisation as the owner makes critical decisions:
We have created videos to complement the booklets.