We have developed a free Safety Management System kit for aviation.
The kit outlines the structure of a Safety Management System (SMS) that follows International Civil Aviation Organization's safety management principles.
You can adapt the kit to suit your organisation's needs and download the entire kit or each booklet.
There are 8 booklets, plus 2 drama videos to help develop your SMS.
Booklet 1 - Safety Management System basics
This is an overview of SMS. Booklet 1 includes:
- why you need an SMS
- why an SMS is important
- how it benefits your organisation
- components of an SMS
- the role of human factors in SMS
- Implementing an SMS.
Booklet 2 - Safety policy and objectives
This covers the role of management in the effectiveness of an organisation's SMS. Booklet 2 covers:
- setting up roles and expectations
- establishing clear policy guidelines
- fostering a safety culture and making sure everybody in the organisation supports the SMS.
Booklet 3 - Safety risk management
Learn how to identify the hazards in your organisation and how to manage risks. Booklet 3 looks at:
- defining safety risk management
- identifying safety hazards
- mitigating safety hazards and risk management
- the concept of as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) and so far as is reasonably practicable (SFAIRP).
Booklet 4 - Safety assurance
This booklet covers assurance activities undertaken to determine if your SMS is operating according to expectations and requirements. Booklet 4 covers:
- monitoring and measuring safety performance
- safety audits and investigations
- management of change
- continuous improvement of your SMS.
Booklet 5 - Safety promotion
Learn how important safety training and communication are for the success of your SMS. Booklet 5 focusses on:
- safety promotion
- identifying training needs
- creating a training plan
- evaluating training effectiveness
- safety communication strategies.
Booklet 6 - Human factors and human performance
Looks at the role human performance plays in safety management. Booklet 6 looks at:
- understanding human factors and human performance
- errors and error management
- the relationship between human performance and SMS.
Booklet 7 – Scaling for size and complexity
This provides a short guide of SMS basics for smaller organisations and focuses on SMS implementation depending on the complexity of your operations. Booklet 7 covers:
- how to scale SMS elements according to size and complexity
- small, non-complex organisation considerations.
Booklet 8 – SMS resource kit
This booklet provides some key guidance material and tools regarding the lifecycle of an SMS from implementing to operating to continuous improvement for excellence. Booklet 8 includes:
- SMS gap analysis tool
- 10 steps for SMS implementation
- SMS evaluation tool.
You can watch our 2 videos, which feature a fictitious regional charter and training organisation as the owner makes critical decisions:
We have created videos to complement the booklets.