Some professionals who want to work in Australia can do so under the skilled migration program.
We do skills assessments for pilots applying for a visa under the program.
Eligibility for skills assessment
To get a skills assessment, you must:
- be applying for a visa under the skilled occupations list (SOL) or Employer Nomination Scheme occupation list (ENSOL).
- hold Australian flight crew qualifications that would let you get a job in Australia as a pilot
- hold a CASA-issued commercial pilot licence (CPL) or air transport pilot licence (ATPL).
To be eligible to pass the skills assessment, you must:
- have at least a current level 4 Aviation English Language Proficiency (AELP) assessment
- pass our background security check.
If you don't have Australian qualifications, you must convert your overseas equivalent.
To do this, you may need to travel to Australia for medicals, exams and a flight test.
Apply for the skills assessment
To apply, fill in the
You must answer all questions on the form in English.
With your form, include:
- evidence of at least 5 years flying for work
- written evidence of work done in your field – use referees or statement of service letters from previous Aviation employers
- certified copies of log book openings showing evidence of flying in past jobs
- last completed log book page of flying experience
- any other relevant information that CASA may use to assess your application.
Your documents must be certified, true copies. There are certain people who can certify documents you send to us.
Getting documents translated
The documents you send to us must be in English or come with a version translated into English.
If you are:
- overseas, the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate can help you to find a translator
- in Australia, contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
Contact our client services centre if you need help to fill in the form.
It usually takes around 14 days for us to process applications.
If your form isn't complete, we can't process it and will send it back to you to finish.
Using a third party
We can't release your information to another person unless you authorise it.
If you're applying through a third party – like an agent – you can authorise it in 2 ways:
- Fill in the 'release of information' section of
- Attach a
Fees to apply for skills assessment
We charge a fee to recover some costs, including for skills assessments.
The cost for the skills assessment is $100.
If you need to do exams or flight tests, or convert qualifications, you may need to pay more.