You now need to register your drones, or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), if you fly them for business or as part of your job.
There are some circumstances where you don’t need to register your drone. This includes when:
- you don’t intend to fly your drone
- you’re only flying for sport or recreation, including model aircraft flown at CASA-approved model airfields
- you're a commercial drone repairer or manufacturer, but you must keep records.
You can register your drone online and it only takes a few minutes. Each registration is valid for 12 months.
Drone registration requirements
You must register it before you fly if you fly a drone or RPA for:
- use as part of your job.
This applies to all drones you fly to provide any type of service, no matter how much the drone weighs. This may include activities such as:
- selling photos or videos taken from a drone
- inspecting industrial equipment, construction sites or infrastructure
- monitoring, surveillance or security services
- research and development
- any drone activities on behalf of your employer or business.
You must be aged 16 or older to register a drone.
You must also get an RPA operator accreditation if you fly your drone for business or use one as part of your job
You don’t need an RPA operator accreditation if you have a remote pilot licence (RePL) or only fly for sport or recreation.
You may need to pay a levy for some drones flown for business or used as part of your job.
Drones weighing 500 g or less
It's free to register drones that are 500 g or less.
Drones weighing more than 500 g
A registration levy of $40 per drone applies.
Registration is mandatory. In exceptional circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for a refund of the remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) registration levy.
Register your drone
It only takes a few minutes to register your drone using myCASA.
Watch our step-by-step guide on how to register your drone.
To register a drone, you must:
You should also consider whether you need an organisation aviation reference number (ARN). If you’re a business, this will allow others to manage your fleet of drones.
You can also follow these steps to register your drone: