The links on this page will help aircraft operators and crew members find information relating to cabin safety.
Flight Safety Australia articles
Articles from our Flight Safety Australia magazine related to cabin safety:
- Beans mean safety gains for FIFO operator - airline uses some creative licence to promote cabin safety messages
- How soon we forget - article about the overarching priority for all cabin crew members is safety
- Let it go, people - cabin baggage in emergencies
- Men in black - safety defenders - safety briefing video formats
- Sexy, serious or safe? - changes to the format of passenger safety briefings
- Taking the plunge - article about helicopter underwater escape training
- The floating world - highlights the importance of passenger management in ballooning
- Keep calm and carry-on - discusses oversized baggage
- You can't take it with you - highlights the importance of leaving your cabin baggage behind in an emergency
- Lithium battery in hot seat blaze - personal electronic device hazards
- Cabin safety App for safer fliers - new apps educating passengers about safety
- Non-technical skills - can they be taught? - suggested training approaches for non-technical skills.
The International Civil Aviation Organization has information of cabin safety and fatigue management:
Academic articles related to cabin safety:
- Retention of knowledge and skills in first aid and resuscitation by airline cabin crew
- Staying safe against in-flight turbulence
- Public Attitudes, Perceptions and Behaviours towards Cabin Safety Communications.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau releases information on its air safety investigations.
Effective crew coordination
- Birdstrike and inflight vibration involving Boeing 747-438 ER VH-OEH near San Francisco International Airport, United States, on 6 October 2016.
- Tailstrike involving Airbus A320, VH-VGF at Melbourne Airport, Victoria on 11 May 2016.
Crew competence in emergency procedures
- Pressurisation event involving Airbus A320, PK-AXD 160 NM (300km) north of Perth, Western Australia, on 15 October 2017.
- Engine failure involving SAAB 340, VH-RXS near Dubbo Airport, NSW, on 23 March 2017.
- Emergency evacuation involving Fokker F28, VH-NHY Perth Airport, WA, on 23 September 2016.
- Depressurisation involving Fokker F28, VH-NHF, 49 km W of Newman Airport, WA on 7 June 2016.
- Evacuation Hobart Airport, VH-VQI Boeing 717-200 17 May 2005.
- Leading edge device failure, VH-OBN, Boeing 737-229 Norfolk Island, 29 December 2007.
Passenger control in emergencies
- Forced landing involving Bell 206, VH-ONE 39 km NNE Sydney Airport, NSW, on 11 June 2017.
- In-flight uncontained engine failure Airbus A380-842, VH-OQA, overhead Batam Island, Indonesia, 4 November 2010.
Personal electronic devices
- Personal electronic device fire in-flight involving Boeing 747, VH-OJS, 500 km WNW of John F. Kennedy International Airport, United States, on 21 June 2016.
- Hard landing involving Kavanagh B-350 hot air balloon, VH-EUA 6 km ENE of Yarra Glen, Victoria on 8 February 2018.
- Oxygen cylinder failure and depressurisation - Boeing 747-438, VH-OJK, 475 km north-west of Manila, Philippines, 25 July 2008.
- In-flight upset - Airbus A330-303, VH-QPA, 154 km west of Learmonth, WA, 7 October 2008.
- Severe turbulence - Boeing 767-338, VH-OGR, Perth Airport, 20 May 2011.
- Collision with water involving Robinson R44, VH-SCM, Talbot Bay, Western Australia, on 23 April 2017.
Accident and incident reports from other regulators or investigative bodies
Air investigations from overseas regulators:
- Severe turbulence encounter - Transportation Safety Board of Canada
- Left engine failure and subsequent depressurisation Southwest airlines flight 1380/AAR-19/03 Boeing 737-7H4, N772SW Philadelphia Pennsylvania April 17, 2018 - National Transportation Safety Board
- Uncontained Engine Failure and subsequent fire NTSB/AAR-18/01 American Airlines Flight 383 Boeing 767-323, N345AN, Chicago, Illinois October 28, 2016 - National Transportation Safety Board
- Rapid Decompression due to fuselage rupture, Southwest Airline Flight 812 NTSB/AAB-13-02 - National Transportation Safety Board
- Smoke in cabin and evacuation of airliner at Turku Airport on December 3, 2017 – ERJ190-100LR - L2017-06/Investigation report 16/2018 - Safety Investigation Authority of Finland
- Loss of Thrust in Both Engines After Encountering a Flock of Birds and Subsequent Ditching on the Hudson River US Airways Flight 1549 Airbus A320-214, N106US Weehawken, New Jersey January 15, 2009
- Survival Factors Group Chairman’s Factual Report (186) - US Airways Flight 1549 - National Transportation Safety Board Washington, D.C
- Descent Below Visual Glidepath and Impact with Seawall. Asiana Airlines Flight 214 Boeing 777-200ER, HL7742 San Francisco, California July 6, 2013
- AAIS Case No AIFN/0016/2014 Final Report Hydraulic Fluid Mist and Protective Breathing Equipment Fire in the Passenger Cabin - Emirates A330 Karachi International Airport Pakistan - Oct 2014
- PT. Lion Mentari Airlines (Lion Air) Boeing 737-800; PK-LKS Ngurah Rai International Airport, Bali Republic of Indonesia 13 April 2013.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regulatory and guidance library
- Transport Canada
- European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)
Cabin safety training
- Understanding Appendix IV of CAO 20.11 available at AviationWorx.
Cabin safety forums