You must apply for navigation approvals when operating in Australia or overseas. This applies to:
- Required Navigation Performance – Authorisation Required (RNP AR)
- Reduced vertical separation minima (RVSM)
- North Atlantic high-level airspace (NAT HLA).
Applying for RNP AR and RVSM
Division 91.D.8 of CASR requires operators to hold an approval under regulation 91.045 for either:
- operations within RVSM airspace
- when conducting RNP AR operations.
Other performance-based navigation specifications do not require approval. The operator must declare the navigational capability specifications in their exposition or operations manual.
Approval to operate in RVSM airspace is specific to an individual aircraft.
RNP AR approval is for an aircraft type and model.
An operator must apply to CASA for each individual aircraft they wish to operate in RVSM airspace.
How to apply for RNP AR and RVSM
If you are applying for RNP AR or RVSM and located outside Australia, contact us about international operator certificates and permission.
For applicants located in Australia, follow these steps to complete your application: