Become a licensed aircraft engineer

To get a CASA Part 66 aircraft engineer licence, an applicant needs:

  1. Basic knowledge – (ref: 66.A.25 of 66 MOS), and
  2. Basic experience – (ref: 66.A.30 of 66 MOS)

resulting in a licence issued without any type ratings.


  • Part 147 MTO
    • undertake the Part 66 theory exams through the MTO applicable to the category of licence or
  • Part 66 self-study
    • self-study (using Part 66 textbooks), theoretical subjects applicable to the category of licence
    • undertake the exams through CASA’s contracted exam provider, applicable to the category of licence.


Duration depends on completed training:

  • completion of Part 147 approved training course – shortest timeframe
  • completion of relevant training as a skilled worker in a technical trade, or
  • if applicant has not undertaken any relevant technical training – longest timeframe
    • Part 147 MTO
      • undertake (VET) competency-based training applicable to the category of licence or
    • Part 66 self-study
      • complete practical experience logbook and submit with application to CASA.
  • Must be practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and must be properly recorded
  • Recent experience in (sub)category needed, and
  • Could be civil/not civil experience, and
  • Must be representative cross-section of maintenance tasks, and
  • Must be properly recorded (for example experience logbook).

To get an aircraft type rating endorsed on the licence, an applicant needs:

  1. Type training (theoretical and practical) – (ref: 66.A.45(d) and 66.A.50 of 66 MOS), and
  2. On-the-job training (OJT) for the first type rating – (ref: 66.A.55 of 66 MOS),

resulting in a type rating endorsed on the licence.


  • Via a Part 147 MTO:
    • undertake aircraft type training (theoretical and practical) for specific aircraft type
    • Type - (theory) examination, and
    • Type - practical experience (hands-on), and
    • must be representative cross-section of maintenance tasks, and Type – (practical) assessment.


  • In Part 147 MTO or Part 145 AMO (approved to undertake such training)
  • Completion of OJT training in addition to POC
  • Must be cover a cross-section of maintenance tasks representative of the aircraft and systems (both complex and simple tasks)
  • Must be signed off by workplace supervisor or assessor
  • must be properly recorded (for example practical experience logbook).
Extra Body field:

Training and examination pathways

There are 2 training pathways you can choose from to qualify for a Part 66 licence.

Part 147 Maintenance Training Organisation (MTO) pathway

This pathway involves:

  • formalised licence category training and examination, and
  • assessment of practical experience.

A Part 147 MTO is approved by us to deliver licence category training and aircraft type training.

If you choose to undertake your licence category training via this pathway, you will enrol as a student at one of the CASA approved Part 147 MTOs and study under the Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET) system to gain one of the relevant qualifications outlined below:

  • For a Category A licence — Certificate II in Aircraft Line Maintenance.
  • For a Category B1 or B2 licence — Diploma of Aeroskills (Mechanical or Avionics).

You will also undertake an examination against the knowledge module requirements for the category licence you want to achieve.

Training through this pathway may attract State Government subsidies.

Part 66 self-study training and examination pathway

This pathway involves licence category training under the new Part 66 self-study training and examination pathway. You will:

  • complete relevant Part 66 module (theory) exams, and
  • submit a practical experience logbook to us.

This pathway introduces extra flexibility into the Australian aircraft engineer licensing system. It improves accessibility of training for applicants who are:

  • not located near a Part 147 MTO
  • not able to train and be assessed by a Part 147 MTO.

If you choose the self-study pathway, you will use Part 66 textbooks to study at your own pace. This pathway allows you to meet the requirements of a licence in a more flexible way.

Study material

You can purchase electronic and hard-copy publications of EASA Part 66 textbooks (Modules 1-9 and 11-17).

The Part 66 Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material lists some websites where you can purchase the textbooks.

The module 10 study guide can be used by people who choose to self-study for a Part 66 aircraft engineer licence.

Practical experience requirements

If you are an aircraft engineer participating in the self-study training pathway, you will need to record your practical experience in the CASA Part 66 basic practical experience logbook. This is how you will provide evidence for:

  • Part 2 - Basic skills practical experience (competencies)
  • Part 3 - Practical maintenance experience (work experience on operational aircraft).

For more information, see the Part 66 basic practical experience logbook user guide.

Once completed, you must submit the logbook to us as a record of your practical maintenance experience.

Last updated:
11 Nov 2022
Online version available at:
Back to top of page