A remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC) allows you or your business to trade as a drone service provider.
A ReOC permits your business to conduct a range of remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) operations—subject to approval—that are not available to other operators.
You do not need a ReOC, if you’re:
A remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC) allows you or your business to operate as a drone service provider for hire or reward, including:
- employing remote pilots to operate RPA that weigh:
- less than 7 kg
- less than 25 kg
- less than 150 kg
- more than 150 kg – additional certification of the RPA required
- applying for additional permissions and approvals to conduct more complex drone operations outside of the drone safety rules.
A ReOC does not allow you to operate an RPA. To operate an RPA, you must hire a licensed remote pilot or have a remote pilot licence (RePL) yourself.
As a ReOC holder, you must:
- create operational procedures and manuals per Part 101 (Unmanned Aircraft and Rockets) Manual of Standards 2019
- make sure you train all remote pilots in the business’ operational procedures
- make sure you conduct all operations following the law and the conditions of your certificate
- keep the required operational records
- register your RPA before flying.
Find a certified operator
If you’d like to contact or hire a ReOC holder, search our directory of certified operators.
Become a certified operator
To apply to CASA for a ReOC, you must:
- fill out :
- fill out the supporting documentation
- send your application and supporting documents to us
- pay the application fee
- pass a chief remote pilot (CRP) assessment.
Applications can take up to 70 business days to process. This depends on the complexity of your operation.
Once approved, your certificate will list the conditions of operation, including:
- type of RPA
- weight restrictions
- manufacturer and model (for RPA over 25 kg)
You can also apply for a ReOC through an industry delegate. Delegates are only authorised to issue a ReOC if the RPA is:
- used in basic aerial operations
- no more than 25 kg.
Industry delegates include:
We recommend you contact your preferred delegate about their fees and application information.
Renew your certificate
An initial ReOC is valid for 12 months and renewals are valid for up to 3 years.
You can renew your certificate online within 3 months of its expiry, provided you’re not making any changes.