Registration responsibilities

The registered operator is responsible for the continuing airworthiness and maintenance control of the aircraft.

Responsibilities of a registered operator

The registered operator must make sure:

  • the aircraft is in an airworthy and serviceable condition
  • all the flight equipment is serviceable
  • an inspection of the aircraft by the correct people is complete
  • any required maintenance is complete and signed for
  • any maintenance is in line with the Aircraft Maintenance Program (AMP). You must also keep records of the works.

The registered operator should review the AMP to make sure:

  • it is still effective for the aircraft
  • reflects any changes made to the aircraft, its operation or location.

The registered operator can perform these functions or contract someone to do so on their behalf.

Proof of eligibility for individuals

A registered operator under Part 47 of CASR must be a legal entity and meet the definition of an 'eligible person'.

Regulation 47.010 defines an eligible person (individual) as a resident of Australia who is:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent visa (within the meaning of the Migration Act 1958).

We may ask you for proof of your eligibility.

Prove Australian residency

To prove Australian residency, we prefer you provide evidence of your current enrolment on the Australian Electoral Roll. To check your enrolment:

  1. Go to the Australian Electoral Commission website.
  2. Select 'Check enrolment'.
  3. Follow the directions on the page to view verification of enrolment.
  4. Take a screen capture of the confirmation and include it with your application (you can screenshot the page by finding the 'Print' option in your browser).

Your enrolment residential address must be the same as the one recorded against your ARN. If it is not, update your address with the Australian Electoral Commission before you submit your form.

While the verification will not print a street number, we accept this as it confirms:

  • name
  • street name
  • suburb
  • state.

We will also accept a copy of 1 of the following:

  • a lease agreement and current rental receipt. The lease agreement must include your name and residential address
  • a utility bill (such as a gas, electricity or landline telephone bill). The mailing address on your utility bill must be the residential address recorded against your ARN
  • a current rates notice including your name and residential address
  • evidence of holding a current Pensioner Concession Card from the Department of Human Services.

You are only eligible to be the registered operator for the time you are living in Australia. If you are not living in Australia, you must nominate an eligible person to fill the position of registered operator.

Prove legal entity and age

To prove legal entity and age, we accept copies of:

  • Australian birth certificates (full or extract), or a current photo birth card from the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • birth certificates showing full legal name and date of birth issued by another country
  • a current Australian passport
  • a current foreign passport
  • a current Document of Identity from the Australian Passport Office
  • an Australian naturalisation or citizenship document or immigration papers from the Department of Home Affairs
  • a current Proof of Age card from an Australian state or territory government.

We only accept documents that:

  • government bodies issue
  • show your full legal name
  • include the day, month and year of your birth
  • need a comprehensive check of identity.

Prove Australian citizenship

To prove Australian citizenship, we will accept copies of:

  • those born in Australia on or before 19 August 1986, an Australian full birth certificate showing details of parents
  • those born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986, an Australian full birth certificate and proof that at least 1 parent was either an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident.
  • a current Australian passport
  • an Australian citizenship certificate
  • a declaratory citizenship certificate from the Department of Home Affairs
  • a naturalisation certificate.

Prove permanent visa

To prove you hold a permanent visa, we accept copies of:

New Zealand citizen residents in Australia

New Zealand citizens residing in Australia who do not hold Australian citizenship are usually granted a Special Category Visa. This is a temporary visa you get in Australia if you are a New Zealand citizen. It is not a permanent visa (within the meaning of the Migration Act 1958). It allows you to:

  • visit
  • study
  • stay
  • work.

The visa ceases when you leave Australia, unless it ceases or is cancelled before you leave.

Special Category Visa holders do not have the same rights and benefits as Australian citizens or permanent residents.

A New Zealand citizen only meets the eligibility criteria if they hold a permanent visa or also hold Australian citizenship.

Proof of eligibility for organisations

A registered operator under Part 47 of CASR must be a legal entity and meet the definition of an 'eligible person' for an organisation, as:

  • a corporation incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001
  • a body incorporated under a law in force in Australia (other than the Corporations Act 2001)
  • the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory
  • an agency of the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory
  • a foreign corporation that is lawfully carrying on business in Australia.

Nominated registered operators that are organisations must provide proof of eligibility with every application.

Acceptable evidence for an organisation

You may need to provide either your organisation's:

  • Australian Company Number
  • Australian Registered Body Number.

We will confirm with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission your organisation's registration.

For a state registered and incorporated body, you must provide a copy of a certificate of incorporation.

For government bodies, you must provide a copy of the establishing statutory provision to prove it can exercise statutory rights. Highlight or clearly identify the relevant part of the document.

Translations of documents not in English

You must provide all documents in English. If your documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). It must also include the NAATI translator's stamp.

If you cannot provide these documents

The list of suitable documents is not exhaustive. We will consider other documents. Please contact us to discuss other options.

We will make a determination and provide feedback within 5 working days.

If you submit documents that are not listed above as acceptable forms of identification without gaining prior approval, we may not accept them.

Last updated:
21 Mar 2022
Online version available at:
Back to top of page