You must get a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) operator accreditation to fly for business or as part of your job.
There are a number of different types of RPA. Each are classified by weight and operations. Types include:
- micro: 250 g or less
- very small: more than 250 g, but not more than 2 kg
- small: more than 2 kg, but not more than 25 kg
- medium: more than 25 kg, but not more than 150 kg.
You can learn more about each type by reading our drones and remote piloted aircraft types webpage.
You must get an operator accreditation if you fly for business or as part of your job, including, but not limited to:
- selling photos or videos taken from a drone
- inspecting industrial equipment, construction sites or infrastructure
- monitoring, surveillance or security services
- research and development
- any drone activities for your employer.
- valid for three years
- required to fly and supervise others from 28 January 2021.
You must be 16 or older to become an accredited operator. An accredited adult (over 18) must supervise you if you’re under 16.
You must follow the:
- drone safety rules that apply to all types of drones
- standard operating conditions for micro and excluded category RPA.
To understand the rules and standard operating conditions that apply:
- download or print the Micro and Excluded Category RPA plain English guide
- watch our short safety video about operating an excluded category or micro RPA.
Follow these steps to get your operator accreditation:
Log in to myCASA using your individual account
Select 'Apply for an individual ARN'
After you have logged in, navigate to 'Need an ARN?' and select 'Apply for aviation reference number (ARN)'.
You can link your existing ARN or apply for a new one. If you’re operating on behalf of a business, you’ll also need an organisation ARN.
Enter your personal details
You will then enter your personal details. These include:
- date of birth
- phone numbers
Submit your identification
After entering your personal details, you will see a prompt to submit your identification.
You will only need one type of identification. Most identity documents can be verified online, including:
- Australian passport
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian citizenship certificate
- foreign passport.
Complete the quiz
Select ‘Individual account’ then select ‘Drone accreditation’. Read the declaration carefully.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the accreditation quiz.
You will need to score 85% or higher to pass the quiz.
Download your accreditation
Once you’ve passed the online quiz, you can download your accreditation using myCASA.
To download your operator accreditation:
Log in to myCASA using your individual account on your Android or iPhone
Navigate to the myCASA portal and enter your email address and password to log in.
Navigate to the 'Operator accreditation details' section
Select 'View your operator accreditation details'.
Select which device you use
Choose to download either to your Apple Wallet for iPhone or Google Pay for Android.
Select the 'add to Apple Wallet' or 'Save to phone' button.
Your licence will then load into your Apple Wallet or Google Pay.