You can now carry your pilot licence with you digitally on your Apple and Android devices, if you hold a current Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC).
Australia is one of the first countries to allow pilots to carry a digital version of their licence when flying in Australia. Regulation 91.100 Electronic documents of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) allows you to carry flight related documents electronically when flying in Australia.
Android digital licences will not include a photo, so always carry another form of approved photo identification, such as a driver’s licence or ASIC.
A digital licence will not be accepted when pilots undergo a proficiency check or flight review or when pilots obtain a rating or endorsement. Flight examiners will continue to make notes on the paper licence. Flying schools may ask to take a copy of the paper licence for their records.
You will only be able to exercise those privileges that appear on your digital licence. It may take up to 2 weeks for new privileges to appear on your digital licence – to exercise those new privileges, you will need to carry your paper licence.
You must carry your paper licence when flying internationally.
Download your digital licence
Digital flight crew licences will work on your iPhone, iPod touch or Apple Watch if you have installed iOS 8.1 or later.
On Android devices, you can carry your digital licence using Google Pay.
To download your digital licence:
- Sign into your myCASA account on your Apple or Android device.
- Under ‘licences and authorisations’, tap ‘flight crew licence’ to view your licence details.
- Read the guidance about using the digital copy of your licence and verify your ASIC. Apple devices will require you to consent to CASA using the photo so follow the prompts to agree.
- Tap 'add to Apple Wallet' or 'add to Google Pay' at the bottom of the page.
- Your digital licence will then load into your Apple Wallet or Google Pay.
- Tap on the three small dots for more info and switch on ‘automatic updates’ and ‘allow notifications’.
- Scroll down to see your licence information, including your ratings and endorsements.
Confirm the details of your digital licence
Anyone with a myCASA account can use a smart device to see details of your digital licence. It’s a quick and easy way to get access to any updates.
- Sign-in to your myCASA account.
- Under ‘licences and authorisations’ tap ‘confirm details of a digital licence’.
- Tap ‘scan the QR code’ button to activate your device’s camera.
- Place the QR code in the camera’s viewing frame and tap the camera button.
- Agree to the declaration and confirm you have the licence holder’s consent.
- Tap ‘confirm details of a digital licence’.
You may use the digital view of licence:
- to hire an aircraft
- to verify your identity when going for a medical assessment
- as another form of identification.