- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Restricted airspace and line-of-sight variations - permissions and approvals
On this page
To fly remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) in some locations, additional permissions or approvals are required.
Chief Remote Pilots operating under a remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC) may apply to fly within the following additional conditions.
Before flying under these conditions, a Notice to Airmen submission may also need to be raised.
Applications can take 7 to 28 days to process once we receive payment.
- Above 400 ft above ground level (AGL) in controlled airspace
- Above 400 ft AGL in non-controlled airspace.
Applications may take more than 21 days to process once we receive payment.
- Operations within 5.5 km (3 nm) of a controlled aerodrome
- Operate over a movement area of a controlled aerodrome
- Operate over a movement area of non-controlled aerodrome
- Operate over the approach or departure path of a runway of a controlled aerodrome
- Operate above 400 ft AGL within 5.5 km (3 nm) of a controlled aerodrome
- Operate above 400 ft AGL within 5.5 km (3 nm) of a non-controlled aerodrome.
These applications may take longer than 21 days to process, as they require coordination with the CASA Office of Airspace Regulation.
- Extended visual line-of-sight (EVLOS)
- Beyond visual line-of-sight (BVLOS).
To apply for Area Approvals, Permissions, EVLOS or BVLOS, please complete Application for RPA flight authorisation (area approval / permission) form 101-09 (pdf 1.17 MB) and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must include any required supporting information and risk assessments when making the application.
We'll provide you an estimate for the assessment and processing time, once we receive all required information.
You must pay all related costs before we can start assessing your application.
Have a question? Need help? You can contact us through our online enquiry form.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest drone information and updates.