- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
How to find your serial number
Every drone or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) has it's own unique serial number. Providing us the serial number when you register will help us to know you own the drone and it's been legally registered.
It's important you know your drone's correct serial number, so you can accurately register it.
Where can I find my serial number?
Most serial numbers are located on or inside the body of the drone.
To find your serial number, follow these steps:
- Make sure your drone is switched off and is safe to investigate.
- Find and remove your drone's battery.
- Inside the battery compartment, look for a range of numbers or characters – this is your serial number. This number may also be labelled simply as 'Serial number' or 'S/N'.
- If your drone's battery can't be removed, search the outside for a set of numbers or characters as above.
- If there is no number on the drone itself, you might find it on your warranty card or original packaging.
What if I have a homemade drone, RPA or model aircraft and my device doesn't have a serial number?
When registering your drone through the myCASA portal, you should select the 'No serial number available' option. We'll then give you a CASA-generated serial number to attach to your drone.
You must mark your drone with the serial number before you fly. This number must be clearly visible on your drone.
You can mark your drone by:
- writing with permanent marker
- creating a label or sticker with a permanent label maker - making sure the label doesn't change the weight of your drone
- engraving onto the body.
If your marker, sticker or engraving gets damaged, falls off or becomes hard to read - you must re-mark your drone so your serial number is clearly visible at all times.
Have a question? Need help? You can contact us through our online enquiry form.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest drone information and updates.