Part 171 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) sets out the rules and standards for aeronautical telecommunications. This includes air traffic services and radio navigation services.
- approval of organisations that provide, operate and maintain these services
- procedures for approval of providers
- eligibility of service providers
- obligations and privileges of approved providers
- services to be provided
- qualifications and competency of technicians
- requirements and standards to be complied with by providers
- contents to be included in a provider's operations manual
- Safety Management System requirements
The Part requires service providers to comply with the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Annex 10 Aeronautical Telecommunications.
Who it affects
Part 171 affects:
- aeronautical telecommunications and radio navigation service providers (Airservices Australia)
- prospective providers of aeronautical telecommunications services.
To a lesser extent Part 171 affects:
- the aviation community
- users of services, particularly IFR pilots using aeronautical radio navigation services.