Part 171 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) sets out the rules and standards for aeronautical telecommunications.
- communication and surveillance services
- radio navigation services.
Part 171 covers:
- procedures for approval of service providers
- obligations and privileges of approved service providers
- requirements for the provision and maintenance of the services
- qualifications and competency of technicians
- items to be included in a service provider's operations manual
- requirements for a service provider’s safety management system
The Part is based on the standards in Annex 10 (Aeronautical Telecommunications) to the convention on International Civil Aviation.
Who it affects
Part 171 affects:
- aeronautical telecommunications and radio navigation service providers (Airservices Australia is currently the only approved provider)
- prospective providers of aeronautical telecommunications services.
Part 171 may also affect:
- the aviation community
- pilots using aeronautical telecommunication services.