We are holding a Certification Flight Test Seminar on 6 and 7 March 2023 in Melbourne. We've scheduled the seminar to occur right before the Australian International Airshow at Avalon and the Flight Test Society of Australia Annual symposium.
The seminar will cover information for aircraft certification and design approval activities involving flight testing. There will also be an in depth look at some technical aircraft certification topics.
The second day will have expanded information on some advanced certification topics.
Who is it for?
The seminar is for:
- pilots (specifically test pilots) involved in the conduct of flight test activities to support certification or design approvals
- flight analyst design Instrument of appointment (IOA) holders and flight test engineers involved in:
- certification flight test activities
- the approval of flight test data and flight manuals.
- design organisation engineers or other IOA holders who may use flight test data to make findings of compliance
- managers of design organisations which conduct flight testing as part of the design approval or certification process.
You may attend either day or both, depending on your knowledge and preference.
- Explain the certification and design approval processes and the requirements for certification documentation.
- Detail certification flight testing requirements and processes, particularly when gathering flight test data.
- Discuss specific requirements for flight test documentation including certification flight test plans and reports.
- Provide information on CASA’s involvement in flight test activities including the type inspection process.
- Workshop flight test safety best practices, including analysis, management and mitigation of flight test risks, the CASA flight test safety policy and updates to guidance material.
- Provide guidance on the requirements for the issue of experimental certificates and other approvals that enable flight testing.
Day 1: CASA aircraft certification processes and procedures
- Process for type certification, supplementary type certification and major change approvals under CASR Part 21M
- Certification program planning
- Flight test related engineering specialisations and design IOA holders – flight analyst and test pilot
- Certification flight test planning
- Flight test safety and hazard analysis
- Flight test enabling approvals (e.g. Experimental Certificate, CASR 61.140)
- Flight test conduct and CASA level of involvement
- Flight test reporting and recommendation and finding of compliance
Day 2: Advanced aircraft certification topics
- Drafting an approval of aircraft and rotorcraft flight manuals and supplements
- Human factors in design approval
- EMI/EMC testing and certification
- NVG compatibility
- FAA durability and reliability means of compliance for UAS type certification
- External stores certification
|6 to 7 March 2023||Melbourne||8:30 am to 4:30 pm||
CASA Melbourne Office, Level 13, 7
The sessions are free of charge.
Food and drink
We will provide tea, coffee and a light lunch. Please advise on the registration form if you have any dietary requirements.
Register your interest
- Registration is required for each day of the seminar individually
- Spaces are limited and may be further constrained due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements
- Register your interest via the certification flight test seminar registration form.
- Priority will be given to organisations or persons that:
- regularly apply to CASA for certification approvals/activities
- conduct design approvals in accordance with design instrument of approval or design organisation privileges
- regularly rely on flight test data as a basis determining compliance with airworthiness standards
- currently hold, or intend to apply for, a certification flight test related design organisation privilege or instrument of appointment
- Registrations close on 25 January 2023.
Nominations for 2023 seminars have closed. The details of 2024 seminars will be published later this year.