We issue a type acceptance certificate (TAC) when we accept a new type and model of imported aircraft.
Type acceptance certificate
Once we list an aircraft in the TAC it is eligible for certificates of airworthiness in the nominated category.
We can issue a TAC if the aircraft type has a type certificate (TC) issued by:
- the national airworthiness authority (NAA) in a recognised country
- the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
See AC 21-30 Type acceptance certificates for imported aircraft for a list of recognised countries.
We issue TACs in respect of an aircraft type but there is no holder of the TAC.
How to apply for a type acceptance certificate
Have this information ready before you begin:
- your organisation details, including contact details
- full aircraft details
- foreign type certificates for the aircraft
- type certificate data sheets for the aircraft (our preference is for a data file)
- proposed airworthiness categories for certificates of airworthiness
- your aviation reference number.
TACs for FAA certified aircraft
To submit an application for type acceptance of an FAA certified aircraft:
- the applicant must initiate contact with the OEM
- submit the application via the FAA Aircraft Certificate Office (ACO) responsible for the type certificate.
See Section 22.214.171.124 Australia/USA Implementation Procedures for Airworthiness for more information.
Complete the form
Use Form 735 Application for a type acceptance certificate for imported aircraft to apply for a TAC.
Use this form if you want to:
- introduce a type and model of aircraft new to Australia
- amend an existing TAC.
We gather and store your information according to our privacy statement.
Submit the form
Submit your application and supporting documents to us following the instructions in the form.
After you submit the form
We will review your application to ensure it is correct and complete. We will contact you if we need more information.
Pay the fee
We charge a fee for the assessment. We'll send you an estimate of the costs to assess your design and issue the TAC, based on an hourly rate.
You must pay the fee before we can process your application.
Cancel an application
To cancel your application after paying the fee, contact us in writing. We will charge costs for any work completed before you cancel.
Assessment timeframes vary and rely on:
- when we receive your payment
- the quality of your documents
- the availability of our resources.
When complete, the assessors will recommend if we should issue the TAC.
If we decline your TAC application, we will contact you to discuss.
We will calculate the actual costs of the assessment process. We will then either process a refund or raise an invoice if required.
If approved, we'll email the TAC to you. If you request it, we can also send a hard copy. We keep the master TAC.