- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
- Dangerous goods
- Drug and alcohol management plans
- Emergencies and incident reporting
- Fatigue management
- Human factors
- Safety management systems
- Advice for air travellers
Safety management systems
A safety management system (SMS) is a systematic approach to managing safety and is tailored to individual organisations.
Understand safety management and safety management systems
Find out more about safety management (SM) and safety management systems (SMS) including what it means, educating your staff and how you can put your safety plan into place.
Legislation and guidance
There is legislation and guidance including civil aviation orders (CAOs) and civil aviation advisory publications (CAAPs) that may help you comply with safety management regulations. There is also new guidance on amendments to an SMS or HF/NTS program for air transport operators.
Putting your safety management system in place
The kit now includes:
- Eight booklets, covering the basic components of SMS, with a special focus on small non-complex organisations
- Useful templates and how-tos for implementing an SMS: gap analysis checklist; hazard and risk register etc.
- Two video dramas: SOS and SMS, focusing on a fictitious small charter and flying training organisation-Bush Aviation and Training.
- Video interviews with industry SMS experts and practitioners.
Links and resources
For more general information on safety management systems, we have a list of external links and resources. The material is for guidance only and doesn’t replace the regulations.
If you are legally required to put a safety management system in place, you will need to read the regulations.
- Safety management Annex 19 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (pdf 234.51 KB)
- ICAO Safety Management Manual (International Civil Aviation Organization [ICAO] Doc 9859 3rd ed. 2013) (2.41MB)
- Fatigue risk management systems – Implementation Guide for Operators (ICAO) (1st ed July 2011)
- Fatigue risk management systems integration with safety management system (pdf 325.03 KB)
- Safety management systems (SMS) guidance for organisations Civil Aviation Publication (CAP) 795 (UK CAA) (pdf 189.05 KB)
- Safety Management International Collaboration Group (SMICG)
Last modified: 15 January 2019