- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Permissions and approval for model aircraft
To operate model aircraft (including drones) in some locations, additional permissions or approvals are required.
You can apply to operate your model aircraft (or drone) in the following conditions:
- Above 120 m (400 ft) above ground level (AGL)
- Within 5.5 km (3 nm) of a controlled aerodrome
- A model aircraft weighing more than 25 kg
- Within Restricted Airspace
- Over the movement area of a non-controlled aerodrome
- Model flying display
- First person view (FPV) flying
How to apply
To apply, you must:
- Complete the following form:
- Provide the following supporting documentation:
- Airspace Risk Assessment Template (xlsx 44.28 KB)
- A map with an aerial view of the location, such as a screenshot from Google Earth or a diagram, displaying the required information
- Any applicable aviation navigation charts (VTC/VNC/WAC)
- Evidence of stakeholder engagement
- Email your completed form and supporting documentation with enough information to assess your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay the assessment fee provided by us on review of your application
- Participate in an interview and/or practical flight test, if required.
Model aircraft categories
Your application will require you to specify the type of model aircraft you intend to operate in these conditions. You can nominate multiple types in your application.
Categories of model aircraft include:
- powered lift
What to expect
Model aircraft flight authorisations can take 7 to 28 days to review and issue once payment is received.
To avoid any unnecessary delays or additional costs, ensure all required documentation specified in the application checklist is submitted with your completed form.
Have a question? Need help?
Contact us through our online enquiry form.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest drone information and updates.