- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Drones or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) can be a fun, exciting hobby and have changed the way we do our jobs.
Safety in the skies is our top priority. To keep people, property and the environment around you safe, it's essential you know the rules that apply to you.
If you don't follow the rules when you fly, you could be hit with large fines and even possible jail time.
How to stay safe when you fly
- Drone safety rules – are the main set of rules you need to follow at all times when you fly.
- Drone safety apps – download a CASA-verified drone safety app to easily find out where you can and can’t fly.
- Flying near emergencies – how you can help emergency staff to help others in times of need.
- Flying in public spaces – what to keep in mind when you're flying in public: near crowds and events, in national parkland and close to animals in the air, sea and on land.
- Travelling overseas with your drone – taking your drone on holiday? What you need to know when flying overseas or visiting Australia.
Excluded category operations
- Flying over your own land – a set of rules you can use to fly over your own land, beyond the standard operating conditions.
- Drones under 2 kg for business use – small business? Want to use your drone at work? Learn how small drones can help you do your job.
- Enforcement and penalties – how we make sure people follow the rules, and what happens if you don't.
- Official documents and forms – remotely piloted aircraft legislation, regulation, guidance information and application forms.
Report unsafe flying
See someone breaking the rules? Help us keep our eyes on the sky and report unsafe drones.
Have a question? Need help? Try asking our virtual assistant, which can be found in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
You can also contact us through our online enquiry form.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest drone information and updates.