- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
On this page
Aircraft flying within Australia must be included in the Australian Civil Aircraft Register.
When the aircraft is registered, it is assigned a registration mark. The mark will be preceded by ‘VH-‘, which is the assigned nationality mark for Australia.
To register your aircraft:
- ensure you have an aviation reference number (ARN)
- complete an application form for Aircraft registration initial registration form 29 (pdf 240.2 KB)
- send your completed form to email@example.com
To register an aircraft you must be a legal entity. The registered operator must meet the definition of an ‘eligible person’.
To register imported aircraft into Australia, we require notification from the foreign civil aviation authority that either the aircraft:
- has been removed from their register
- was never entered on their register.
If you are an individual and sold your aircraft to another individual, the transfer of registration is available through the myCASA portal.
To do this:
- the current registration holder (former owner) will need to initiate the transfer notice
- you must have the ARN for the new owner - who will be notified to complete the transfer.
For all registration transfers involving an organisation (either as the former owner or new owner):
- the current registration holder will need to complete Transfer of aircraft ownership form 027 Part 1 (pdf 114.51 KB) within 14 days after the change of ownership
- the new owner will need to apply to become the registration holder by completing Application for new aircraft owner to become registration holder form 027 part 2 (pdf 159.83 KB) within 28 days after the change of ownership
- late lodgement may result in the suspension of the aircraft’s registration.
You must notify us of a change in aircraft details, by completing:
If you or your organisation has registered aircraft, you can now confirm the registration details in myCASA.
Confirming your or your organisation’s aircraft registration details in myCASA will make sure that your details are up to date. You’ll also have visibility of your aircraft data at any time.
To do this you’ll need:
- an ARN and a myCASA account
- to be an authorised representative, company director or CEO if confirming on behalf of an organisation.
To nominate or cancel the appointment of a registered operator, complete:
To cancel your aircraft registration, the registration holder must complete:
You can get a replacement certificate of registration:
- if your original certificate has been lost, stolen destroyed or damager
- when aircraft details have been changed.
To get a replacement certificate, complete:
Regulatory registration requirements for gliders are the same as for powered aircraft.
The Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA) administers the glider registration process on CASA’s behalf through an instrument of delegation. Glider registration forms are submitted to the GFA for processing.
Read more about forms and fees for gliders.
You must pay the applicable fee before we process your form. You can pay online or complete the credit card details on the form. Refer to Part 12 of the Schedule of fees for regulatory services.