- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Wire Strike Resources
Wires are an insidious hazard for any pilot who has to fly low for a living: easy to hit and hard to see, they seem almost designed to take down aircraft.
The best defence against wires is knowledge - of where the wires are and how to look for them – forewarned is forearmed. Pilots who fly for a living at low levels must constantly keep their knowledge up to date. These resources will help them do that.
Flight Safety Australia magazine articles
- 'High voltage shock & roll' What went wrong? p12-15, January-February 2001
- 'Wire worry' p34-35, March-April 2005
- 'Risks associated with aerial campaign management' – ATSB section p61, July-August 2005
- 'One strike and you're out' p37-39, November-December 2005
- 'Watching the wire' p12-15, March-April 2011
Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia
Their aerial application manual, V3, revised in June 2011, has a comprehensive section on low-level flight and avoiding wires. Due for release late June 2011.
Helicopter Association International
Surviving the wires environment online video.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau study
US Federal Aviation Administration study
Safety Study of Wire Strike Devices Installed on Civil and Military Helicopters.
British helicopter safety site including links to accident database.
Aviation Safety network
Comprehensive database of aircraft accidents since 1943.
Flight Safety Foundation
Not-for-profit organisation promoting aviation safety through research, auditing, education, advocacy and publishing.