Use of NVG in Helicopter Operations - Proposed CAO 82.6 - NPRM 0705OS
Notice of Proposed Rule Making – NPRM 0705OS
Use of NVG in helicopter operations –
proposed CAO 82.6
Objectives of the proposed CAO 82.6
To enact a discrete rule set and supporting advisory material for Night Vision Imaging Systems – Use of NVG in Helicopters for specific operations. Additionally:
- Changes must be capable of being implemented;
- Changes must not result in operators becoming non-compliant;
- Change must meet equivalent level of safety or higher.
Key proposed changes
- NVG use as primary means of terrain avoidance will require an Instrument of Approval issued by CASA and will only be available to AOC holders;
- NVG use will initially be limited to specific types of helicopter operations;
- Standards developed in relation to initial, recurrency and line training for flight crews for the use of NVG;
- Standards developed in relation to NVG qualifications and licence requirements for operators and flight crew;
- Standards developed in relation to aircraft and NVG equipment airworthiness requirements for NVG;
- Standards developed for the operational use of NVG;
- CAR 215 direction provided for minimum Operations Manual content;
- Exemptions granted for specific operations in relation to minimum height for V.F.R. flights at night (CAR174B); and
- Introduction of a CAAP (174-1) giving comprehensive guidance to meeting the requirement of CAO 82.6 and additional general information on NVG.
How to respond
Comment period now closed.