Use of NVG in Helicopter Operations - Proposed CAO 82.6 - NFRM 0705OS
Notice of Final Rule Making (NFRM) 0705OS
Use of Night Vision Goggles (NVG) in helicopter operations
Objectives for creating a new Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 82.6
To enact a discrete rule set and supporting advisory material for Night Vision Imaging Systems – in particular, the use of NVG in helicopters for specific operations.
- Changes must be capable of being implemented;
- Changes must not result in operators becoming non-compliant;
- Change must meet equivalent level of safety or higher.
- To use NVG as the primary means of terrain avoidance will require an Instrument of Approval issued by CASA and will only be available to holders of an Air Operator's Certificate (AOC);
- NVG use will initially be limited to specific types of helicopter operations;
- Standards developed in relation to initial, recurrency and line training for flight crews for the use of NVG;
- Standards developed in relation to NVG qualifications and licence requirements for operators and flight crew;
- Standards developed in relation to aircraft and NVG equipment airworthiness requirements for NVG;
- Standards developed for the operational use of NVG;
- A direction under Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 215 to be provided for minimum Operations Manual content;
- Exemptions granted for specific operations in relation to minimum height for flights at night under the Visual Flight Rules (CAR 174B); and
- Introduction of a Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) giving comprehensive guidance to meeting the requirements of CAO 82.6 and additional general information on NVG.
Fax to the Standards Development Documentation Coordinator at:
1800 653 897 (free call within Australia) or
+612 6217 1691 (international).
Post (no stamp required if posted in Australia) to:
CASA Regulatory Coordination & Administration Section,
Attn: Standards Development Documentation Coordinator,
Reply Paid 2005, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia.
- Email to: email@example.com.