- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Transition to CASR Part 141 and Part 142
The rules for flight training organisations came into effect on 1 September 2014. The rules are contained in Part 141 and Part 142 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR).
The transitional provisions allow organisations who held approval to conduct flying training immediately before 1 September 2014 to continue their business operations during the transition period. Flight training organisations must transition their operations to be compliant with the new rules and obtain the relevant CASA approval before the transition period ends on 31 August 2018.
Transition guidance resources and tools
We have produced a range of guidance material and tools to help you prepare for transition to the Part 141/142 flight training regulations. We have published sample documents—Part 141 Sample Operations Manual, Part 142 Sample Exposition and sample syllabi—which you can fully adopt, tailor or use as a guide when preparing your transition documents. We also provide a free online tool called the Manual authoring and assessment tool (MAAT) that can assist you develop and submit these manuals.
Process to transition
There is no requirement to complete an application form. You simply need to send your exposition or operations manual to your local CASA Regional Office or submit the manual for assessment if you are using MAAT. You will need to indicate that the submission of documents is for the purpose of transitioning to the new flight training regulations.
How we will work with you during the transition
To support you through the transition period, we will:
- work collaboratively with you to determine your transition requirements and agree on a schedule to ensure your new authorisation is issued on time
- ensure you are aware of the transition schedule for your organisation
- if any deficiencies are identified in your application and work with you to address them.
Our ability to transition your organisation to the new regulations by 31 August 2018 will depend on:
- you meeting the agreed timelines for submitting your documentation
- your response time to any required amendments or additions
- if you request any additional activities to be added to your existing operations.
Should your organisation experience any problems which may result in delay to your agreed submission dates for your completed documents, please contact your oversighting Certificate Management Team to discuss.
Your oversighting Certificate Management Team will be able to assist with any queries related to your transition and the flight training regulations.