Review of medical certification standards
In December we called for submissions into a wide ranging discussion paper to consider industry and community views to any possible changes for the medical certification regime. The feedback received will assist CASA in determining whether to make changes to the current medical certification regime which encompasses class 1, class 2 and class 3 medical certificates, as well as the recreational aviation medical practitioner’s certificates.
The comment period closed on 31 March and around 160 submissions to the discussion paper were received. Responses included feedback from pilots, industry associations, flying organisations and medical professionals. We asked respondents if they agreed to the publication of their submission and wherever this was granted, the submissions have been published.
CASA is currently working through each submission, including those that did not agree to publication. We intend to make available an initial analysis of the submissions within the next few months.
Updates on progress will continue to be provided on this web page.
The discussion paper put forward six options that may be considered for future consultation, although further options will be considered on the basis of responses to this discussion paper.
The options are:
- continuing the existing medical certification requirements and arrangements (status quo)
- re-assessing risk tolerances which inform medical certifications standards in the context of industry and community expectations
- examining and streamlining medical certification practices across the various certification standards, including the approach to assessing incapacitation risk
- aligning certification standards across the sport and recreational sectors by revising the recreational aviation medical practitioner’s certificate to make it both more accessible to pilots and more widely applicable
- developing a new medical certificate for the sport and recreational sectors which considers overseas approaches with elements of self-certification
- mitigating the risks of any changes by applying operational restrictions.
- Discussion Paper – Medical Certification Standards