Go to top of page
Resource guide for engineers
Introduction (1.19MB), includes:
- What are human factors?
- Maintenance accidents and maintenance errors
- The PEAR model
Error management (1MB) in aviation maintenance , includes:
- Human error types, causes and consequences
- Errors and violations
- Error management strategies for individuals
- Error capture
- Error tolerance
Human performance and its limitations (1.17MB), includes:
- How humans process information
- The senses
- Memory and its limitations
- Managing human performance limitations
- Situational awareness
Decision making (952KB), includes:
- Decision making process
- How do individuals and teams make effective decisions?
- Managing uncertainty
- Planning of task, equipment and spares
Fatigue (1.67MB), includes:
- What is fatigue?
- The effects of fatigue
- The causes of fatigue
- Managing the risks of fatigue in aviation maintenance
- Strategies to deal with fatigue
Stress, workload and time pressure (1.44MB), includes:
- What is stress?
- Characteristics, causes and symptoms of stress
- Managing stress
- Workload – overload and underload
- Interruptions and distraction management
- Time pressure
- Managing stress and time pressure in shift handovers
Alcohol and other drugs (966KB), includes:
- AOD consumption and the workplace
- AOD in aviation maintenance
- CASA's alcohol and other drugs program
Communication (1.18MB), includes:
- Barriers to effective communication in aviation maintenance
- Managing communication
- Managing task handover, pre-task briefings and task changes
- Tips for improving communication and avoiding errors
Teamwork (744KB), includes:
- Safe and successful performance of the maintenance team
- Characteristics of teams
- Conditions for effective teamwork
Leadership (932KB), includes:
- What makes a good leader?
- What leadership is not
- Leadership and followership
- Managing conflict
Professionalism (952KB), includes:
- What is professionalism?
- Developing professional standards
- Personal integrity—resisting at-risk behaviour
Human factors within an organisation (1.52MB), includes:
- Safety culture and human factors
- How do we build a generative safety culture?
- Organisation norms and peer pressure
- Event and hazard reporting
- Risk management
If you are having problems downloading the PDFs, please go to site help.