- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Reserving a mark
Who is entitled to apply for the reservation of a registration mark?
Members of the aviation industry and new entrants can reserve registration marks, for a period of 12 months, for: a) assignment to aircraft which are to be registered in the Australian Civil Aircraft Register; or b) for the purpose of changing a registration mark already assigned to a registered aircraft.
How to apply for the reservation of a registration mark
Submit an Application for mark reservation Form 028 to CASA by mail, e-mail or facsimile.
- The registration mark must be reserved against an aircraft, preferably identified by its manufacturer, model and serial number
- If full details cannot be supplied, the reservation request must be accompanied by written justification for such a request. The reservation will be processed subject to CASA's approval
- The reservation is valid for a period of 12 months or until placement on a registered aircraft, whichever occurs first. A mark that is not assigned to a registered aircraft by the end of the 12 months reservation period will expire and become available for use.
If CASA is not satisfied with the authenticity of any of the information provided through Form 028 - Application for Mark Reservation, or its complementary documentation, CASA may require the applicant to provide further information or documentation, as described in the notice. CASA may refuse to further consider the application until the applicant complies with the notice.
Which registration marks can be reserved?
Every working day, CASA places an updated list of available registration marks on CASA's Internet site.
The list includes marks whose periods of reservation have expired.
What are the main requirements?
- Whilst reserved to an aircraft the mark must not be placed on another aircraft unless CASA receives written consent to that effect from the holder of the reservation.
- Any person other than the reservation holder cannot use the mark unless the reservation holder relinquishes control of the mark by providing CASA with written consent to that effect.
Confirmation of reservation
The issue of a Confirmation of Reservation confirms approval of an application for reservation. It will be automatically cancelled at the close of business of the expiring date noted on the Confirmation, or when the aircraft to which the mark has been reserved is registered, whichever occurs first.
Release of Information about a Reserved Mark
In order to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 CASA will not release the name, address or any other details about an individual or organisation that has reserved a mark.
Furthermore, CASA will not facilitate any negotiations relating to the release or transfer of a reserved mark.
When a mark becomes available for reservation it will be shown in the list of available marks on the CASA website. This list is routinely updated each working day.