Putting your SMS into practice
Now you have completed all the planning and preparations for a SMS, the SMS can be functional.
Actively using your SMS will include:
- ongoing training of staff
- staff reporting hazards within their working environment
- convening regular safety committee meetings
- conducting risk assessments
- agreeing on and implementing safety controls
- monitoring the effectiveness of safety controls
- promoting safety and the SMS within your organisation
- communicating with staff about safety issues and encouraging feedback
Reviewing your SMS
The SMS will constantly evolve according to the capability of your organisation and should be reviewed regularly. The review should look at your safety objectives and targets, review your IT software package (where applicable) and determine if training of staff and communication of the safety risks is useful and effective.
Your SMS is also a convenient (and required) tool to assist you during organisational change to identify if risks may be inadvertently introduced into your organisation.