- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
CASA is Australia's aviation safety regulator, is a corporate Commonwealth entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) and was established on 6 July 1995 under the Civil Aviation Act 1988 (the Act). The main object of the Act is to establish a regulatory framework for maintaining, enhancing and promoting the safety of civil aviation, with particular emphasis on preventing aviation accidents and incidents.
Our key role
CASA's key role is to conduct the safety regulation of civil air operations in Australian territory and the operation of Australian aircraft outside Australian territory. CASA is also responsible for ensuring that Australian-administered airspace is administered and used safely.
CASA, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, Airservices Australia and the Department of Defence constitute Australia's aviation safety framework, each with separate and distinct functions, but working together as an integrated system.
In keeping with CASA's fundamental obligations, efforts are maintained and promoted at all times to ensure our decision-making and actions are lawful, fair, reasonable and consistent, and in all cases contribute to optimal safety outcomes, while not unnecessarily impeding the efficient operation of entities that we regulate.
Safe skies for all
To promote a positive and collaborative safety culture through a fair, effective and efficient aviation safety regulatory system, supporting our aviation community.
To maintain a highly skilled and motivated workforce who embrace these values:
- Excellence: to strive to excel in all we do.
- Courage: to act with strength of character and conviction while being accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: to work together to promote a strong, cohesive and highly effective workforce.
- Fairness: to ensure our actions and decisions are informed, consistent, risk-based, evidence driven and without bias.
- Integrity: our actions and behaviour are open, transparent and ethical.
- Respect: to engage with our peers, colleagues and the wider aviation community in a clear, concise and respectful manner at all times.
- Innovation: to challenge existing practices and look for opportunities to support effective continuous improvement.