- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project SS13/03 - Post Implementation Review of CASR Part 99.B - Drug and alcohol management plans
In March 2009, Part 99 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 was introduced to cover drug and alcohol management plans (DAMP) and testing.
Since 2009, the initiative has been implemented by industry and oversighted by CASA. Since its original conception, there have been various implementation issues raised that require regulatory amendments to ensure transparency and continued high safety standards.
Issues to be addressed include but are not limited to:
- Definition of safety sensitive vs safety critical activities/ roles that are required to be covered by DAMPs and DAMP testing
- Definition of SSAA employee to be covered by DAMP
- Definition of post-accident or serious incident as this affects testing requirements
- DAMP responsibility and coverage issues e.g. contractors
- The Drug and Alcohol Education Program requirement - should CASA supply this program?
- The requirement for pre-deployment testing
- Ensuring DAMP testing is meeting the relevant Australian Standard
- Should there be an industry requirement for random testing?
- Reporting requirement from organisation to CASA following a confirmed positive test
- Improving the return to work 'response program' model
These are primarily regulatory amendment issues to be clarified that will help increase regulatory understanding from industry. The amendments will also improve unnecessary costs and resourcing issues that are faced by DAMP organisation which will in turn increase compliance while maintaining the same safety standards.
The objective of the prosed amendments will be to help increase an understanding of regulatory requirements and help improve the implementation of the Part to ensure compliance. Cost and resourcing efficiencies will also be improved.
This project was approved by Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Division on 9 March 2013.
CASR Part 99
Project Leader/s: email@example.com, DAMP Oversight Section Head, Industry Permissions
Project Sponsor/s: Peter Fereday, Executive Manager Industry Permissions
Dr Pooshan Navathe - Aviation Medicine Principal Medical Officer
Gerard Campbell, A/g Executive Manager Operations
Adam Anastasi, General Counsel and Executive Manager Legal
Standards Officer/s: firstname.lastname@example.org, Manager SMS & Human Factors, Standards Division
|Consultation updates in 2013|
|Project SS 13/03 - Post Implementation Review of CASR Part 99.B – Drug and alcohol management plans||Project approved.||18 Mar 2013|