- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online tools and apps
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project OS 99/43 - CASR Part 119 Australian air transport operators - certification and management
Parts 119 and 129 of the new Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASRs) both deal with the issuing of Air Operator's Certificates (AOCs) to air operators - Part 119 is for Australian operators, Part 129 for foreign operators.
An Air Transport Operation means an operation in an aircraft:
- that is conducted for hire or reward or is otherwise publicly available
- that is a passenger transport operation or a cargo transport operation
- a passenger transport operation is an operation in an aircraft involving the carriage of passengers, whether or not cargo is carried on the aircraft. A passenger transport operation does not include, cost sharing operations, aerial work operations or an operation for the carriage of passengers in an aircraft with a certificate of airworthiness other than a standard certificate of airworthiness.
Such operations will require an Air Operator's Certificate (AOC) issued under CASR Part 119 (or Part 131 for balloons). The suite of regulations that will require the operator to have a Part 119 AOC will be:
The requirements and issue of AOCs for balloons will be contained in Part 131.
- A single standard for both regular public transport and charter operators.
- Identification of key personnel as defined in the Civil Aviation Act 1988.
- Establishing a new designated person identified as the Safety Manager.
- Making the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) accountable for the safety system and regulatory compliance.
- Requiring operators to develop and maintain a Safety Management System (SMS).
- Requiring operators to provide for crew training and checking, or to arrange for this to be conducted by an organisation approved under CASR Part 142 - Training and checking operators.
- Provision of non-technical skills training to safety critical aviation personnel.
- The requirement for an operator to prepare and operate to an exposition.
- Part 119 will also contain some rules about record keeping and some other generic aviation rules that were previously slated for parts 121/133/135 to preclude the need from repeating the same provisions in three different CASR Parts.
This project is associated with Part 119.
|Consultation updates in 2019|
|Summary of consultation on CD 1806OS - Part 119 consultation - Australian air transport operators - certification and management||Summary of consultation on CD 1806OS has been published.||10 January 2019|
|Summary of consultation on CD 1805OS - Part 119 consultation - Australian air transport operators - certification and management||Summary of consultation on CD 1805OS has been published.||10 January 2019|
|Summary of consultation on CD 1804OS - Part 119 consultation - Australian air transport operators - certification and management||Summary of consultation on CD 1804OS has been published.||10 January 2019|
|Consultation updates in 2018|
|Civil Aviation Safety Amendment (Part 119) Regulations 2018||Regulation made 6 December 2018||20 December 2018|
|Proposed CASR Dictionary amendments||Parts 119, 121, 133, 135 CASR Dictionary - Draft consultation (pdf 276.95 KB) is an earlier version of public consultation draft changes to the CASR Dictionary. This will be updated as approved drafts become available.||18 December 2018|
|CD 1806OS - Proposed amendments to the rules for larger aeroplanes air transport operations - Part 119 and 121 of CASR||Comments close 2 September 2018||3 August 2018|
|CD 1805OS - Proposed changes to the rules for smaller aeroplanes air transport operations - Part 119 and 135 of CASR||Comments close 2 September 2018||3 August 2018|
|CD 1804OS - Proposed changes to the rules for rotorcraft air transport operations – Part 119 and 133 of CASR||Comments close 21 August 2018||24 Jul 2018|
|Draft AMC GM CASR Part 119 (pdf 383.57 KB) - Australian air transport operators – certification and management||Comments close 21 August 2018||24 Jul 2018|
|Consultation updates in 2015|
|NPRM 1306OS - Regulatory requirements for scenic flights in small aircraft||Comments close 16 April 2015||22 Jan 2015|
|Consultation updates in 2014|
|NPRM 1319OS - Regulatory requirements for domestic cargo-only operations in small aircraft||Comments close 28 November 2014||30 Sep 2014|
|Consultation updates in 2012|
|DP 1212OS - AOC requirements for domestic cargo transport services in small aeroplanes and rotorcraft||This DP has been published and is now available for comment. Comments close 28 November 2012.||3 Oct 2012|
|DP 1210OS - AOC requirements for local scenic flights||This DP has been published and is now available for comment. Comments close 23 November 2012.||27 Sep 2012|
|NPRM 0903OS Australian Air Transport Operators - Certification and Management, Proposed CASR Part 119 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998||This NPRM is open for comment and is available on the CASA website. Comment period closes 5 September 2012.||11 Jul 2012|
|Consultation updates in 2009|
|Infopack slideshow on CASR Part 119||31 May 2009|
|Consultation updates in 2008|
|NPRM 0807OS - Passenger Transport Services: terminology in and application of new CASR Parts 119, 121, 129, 131, 133 and 135||This NPRM closed for comment on 6 February 2009.||11 Dec 2008|
|Consultation updates in 2003|
|New draft Manual of Standards MOS - Part 119||Draft MOS - Part 119 has been issued and is now available for review and comment.||20 Nov 2003|
|Consultation updates in 2002|
|nprm0201os.pdf (pdf 789.09 KB)||NPRM 0201OS - Air Operator Certification - Air Transport has been issued for proposed CASR Part 119 which prescribes proposed rules for an applicant wishing to obtain and retain an Air Operators Certificate (AOC) that applies to the operation of air transport operations regardless of size or complexity. Comments close 31 July 2002.||11 Apr 2002|
|Consultation updates in 2001|
|New technical working draft regulations for CASR 119 maintenance aspects||CASR Part 119 maintenance aspects of the regulations have been developed and are available for review.||19 Oct 2001|
|Consultation updates in 2000|
|Project OS 99/43 - Australian air transport operators - certification and management||Project approved.||1 Oct 2000|
Other Part 119 activities
The CASR Part 119 history page includes:
- other projects
Project OS 99/43 is part of a group of CASA projects associated with the flight operations regulations. These projects consist of:
- CASR Part 91
- CASR Part 119
- CASR Part 121
- CASR Part 133
- CASR Part 135
- CASR Part 138.
These rules will replace the current regulations and orders covering private, aerial work, charter and RPT operations.
Technical lead: Scott Watson
Policy manager: Manager, Flight Standards Branch