Project OS 99/08 - CASR Part 91: General operating and flight rules
Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASRs) was initially made on 15 December 2005 to create Subparts 91.A, 91.D and 91.U, those rules taking effect on 20 December 2005.
The remainder of CASR Part 91, when implemented, will replace the various 1988 Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs) and Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) that relate to general operating and flight rules and will be supported by a number of Advisory Circulars (ACs). It will form a complete set of operating rules for current 'private' operations, and will supplement the operating rules applicable to corporate/business, air experience, aerial work, and air transport operations.
The Part will primarily consolidate and retain most of the existing rules with little change. However, a small number of new rules have been included to further ICAO compliance and enhance aviation safety.
- Outcome based regulations relating to the use of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs).
- Requirement for the pilot to plan to arrive with a specified minimum amount of fuel.
- Restrictions on the simulation of certain emergencies in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) or at night.
- Requirement for cabin crew members for all flights carrying more than 19 passengers.
- Introduction of an approach ban for IFR flights in certain limited circumstances.
- Relaxation of supplemental oxygen requirements.
- Explicit requirement for the carriage of a journey log for international flights in line with the Chicago Convention.
This project was approved by the Executive Manager, Aviation Regulatory Services Branch February 1998.
Part 91 of CASR 1998
Various 1988 Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs) and Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) that relate to general operating and flight rules.
Project Leader: Scott Watson
Project Sponsor: Manager, Flight Standards Branch
|Consultation updates in 2015|
|CD 1511OS - Part 91 of CASR and associated MOS for general operating and flight rules||All comments should be submitted via the firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 6 October 2015.||11 August 2015|
|Consultation updates in 1998|
|Project OS 99/08 - General operating and flight rules||This project was approved by the Executive Manager, Aviation Regulatory Services Branch February 1998.||1 Feb 1998|