Project OS 99/08 - CASR Part 91: General operating and flight rules
Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASRs) was initially made on 15 December 2005 to create Subparts 91.A, 91.D and 91.U, those rules taking effect on 20 December 2005.
The remainder of CASR Part 91, when implemented, will replace the various 1988 Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs) and Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) that relate to general operating and flight rules and will be supported by a number of Advisory Circulars (ACs). It will form a complete set of operating rules for current 'private' operations, and will supplement the operating rules applicable to corporate/business, air experience, aerial work, and air transport operations.
The Part will primarily consolidate and retain most of the existing rules with little change. However, a small number of new rules have been included to further ICAO compliance and enhance aviation safety.
- Strict control of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs).
- Requirement for the pilot to plan to arrive with a specified minimum amount of fuel.
- Restrictions on the simulation of certain emergencies in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) or at night.
- Altered requirement for the carriage of Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs).
- Requirement for cabin crew members for all flights carrying more than 19 passengers.
- Recurrent training and checking requirements for pilots for all operations of aeroplanes certified in the Transport category with an MTOW above 8640kg.
- Changes to minimum operating heights to allow flight below 500ft.
This project was approved by the Executive Manager, Aviation Regulatory Services Branch February 1998.
Part 91 of CASR 1998
Various 1988 Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs) and Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) that relate to general operating and flight rules.
Project Leader: Murray Collings
Project Sponsor: Manager, Flight Standards Branch
|Consultation updates in 2015|
|CD 1511OS - Part 91 of CASR and associated MOS for general operating and flight rules||All comments should be submitted via the firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 6 October 2015.||11 August 2015|
|Consultation updates in 1998|
|Project OS 99/08 - General operating and flight rules||This project was approved by the Executive Manager, Aviation Regulatory Services Branch February 1998.||1 Feb 1998|