Project OS 10/04 - Early Implementation of Some Proposed CASR Part 131 Policies via CAO
Proposed Part 131 contains several policy items that provide commercial advantage to the passenger balloon industry when compared to present requirements.
The Professional Balloon Association of Australia (PBAA) has written to CASA seeking early implementation of several of the more commercially valuable changes via CAO amendments in advance of the making of CASR Part 131.
Additionally, CASA's Flight Training and Testing Office have sought early implementation of the Part 131 agreed requirements for the training of balloon instructors.
Collectively, the proposals would provide for a more competency based balloon instructor and pilot career progression. The proposals provide for safer outcomes in balloon training and balloon endorsements.
To amend CAO 40.7 and any other CAOs necessary in line with the policy publicly consulted in CASR Part 131 to allow/require the professional hot air balloon industry to do the following.
- Conduct endorsement training in command under supervision (ICUS)
- Remove the Class 1-4 endorsement system and replace it with the 'not more than 10 passengers prior to 100 hours charter flying experience' and 'more than 10 passengers permitted after 100 hours charter flying experience'.
- Implement staged training into larger balloons
- Lower the over-flight minimum to 500 ft
- Add the approved CPL course to the existing 'journeyman' method of achieving CPL
- Balloon instructors:
- Add a 5 hour minimum instructor training requirement
- Require 12 hours instructional theory training as outlined in CAO 40.1.7 Appendix 1
- Instructor training to be conducted in a balloon flying school
In December 2011, CASA accepted a report arising out of a balloon accident investigation which made a recommendation that pilots of balloons engaged in passenger carrying operations in an AOC should undergo an annual pilot proficiency check with the chief pilot of the AOC holder.
CAO 95.53 was amended in draft form to:
- permit balloon flying training and flight testing/checking in an AOC; and
- introduce the annual; pilot proficiency check requirements.
CAO 95.53 has now been converted to an instrument of exemption which will replace the CAO. The draft instrument contains all the exemptions previously included in the draft amended CAO 95.53.
The revised explanatory statement includes a draft regulatory impact statement which addresses the proposed amendments to CAO 40.7 and the annual pilot proficiency checks proposed in the exemption document.
This project was approved by Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Division on 14 January 2010.
Project Leader: Mick English, Standards Development Branch
Project Stakeholder: Peter Cromarty A/g Executive Manager CASA Operations
Standards Development Project Manager: Andrew Ward, Standards Development Branch
21 May 2014
- Summary of Proposed Change - Proposed amendments to CAO 40.7 and Exemption
- Draft CAO 40.7 Instrument 2014
- Draft Exemption - manned balloons and hot air airships
Comments to this consultation draft closed 4 June 2014.
21 May 2012
- Proposed Draft CAO 40.7 Instrument
- Proposed Draft CAO 40.7 Explanatory Statement
- Proposed Draft CAO 95.53 Instrument
- Proposed Draft CAO 95.53 Explanatory Statement
Consultation Draft for Proposed Exemption - manned balloons and hot air airships
- Explanatory Statement and Regulatory Impact Statement relating to the proposed amendments to CAO 40.7 - Aircraft endorsements (balloons) & flight instructor (balloons) ratings
- Proposed Exemption relating to the proposed amendments to CAO 95.53 - Exemption from provisions of the CARs 1988 - Manned balloons & hot air airships - aerial work & charter operations
Comments on this draft AC closed 7 November 2012.
Standards Consultative Committee (SCC)
|Consultation updates in 2014|
|Consultation Draft (CD 1410OS) for proposed amendments to CAO 40.7- aircraft endorsements (balloons) and flight instructor (balloons) ratings AND Exemption - manned balloons||Comments to this consultation draft closed 4 June 2014.||6 Jun 2014|
|Consultation Draft (CD 1410OS) for proposed amendments to CAO 40.7- aircraft endorsements (balloons) and flight instructor (balloons) ratings AND Exemption - manned balloons||All comments should be submitted via the Project Leader, Mick English by close of business 4 June 2014.||21 May 2014|
|Consultation updates in 2012|
|Consultation Draft for Proposed Exemption - manned balloons and hot air airships||Comments on this draft AC are to be forwarded to the Project Leader, Mick English by close of business 7 November 2012.||24 Oct 2012|
|Draft CAAP 5.143-1(0) – Flight crew licensing flight reviews balloons||Comments on this draft CAAP are to be forwarded to the Project Leader, Mick English by close of business 14 June 2012.||31 May 2012|
|Consultation Drafts – Proposed amendments to Civil Aviation Orders CAO 40.7 – Aircraft endorsements (balloons) & flight instructor (balloons) ratings and CAO 95.53 – Exemption from provisions of the CARs 1988 – Manned balloons & hot air airships – aerial work & charter operations||All comments should be sent to the Project Leader, Mick English by close of business 14 June 2012.||31 May 2012|
|Consultation updates in 2010|
|Project OS 10/04 - Early Implementation of Some Proposed CASR Part 131 Policies via CAO||Project approved.||14 Jan 2010|