- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project OS 00/08 - CASR Part 131 - Manned free balloons
Part 131 Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) will define the standards applicable for manned free balloons that are operated:
- privately for sport and recreation
- commercial passenger transport operations
- flight training operations
- specialised operations (currently known as aerial work).
In line with the directions of other national aviation authorities (NAAs) the regulations in Part 131 will utilise outcome based regulation where it is appropriate to do so. In addition, Part 131 will apply the CASA Regulatory Philosophy and CASA Directive DAS 01/2015.
Part 131 is planned to encompass all regulations that apply to the operation, maintenance and continuing airworthiness of manned free balloons used in any capacity. Part 131 will replace regulations that would otherwise be included in:
- Parts 42, 66, 145 and 147 in relation to maintenance and maintenance personnel
- Parts 61 and 141 in relation to flight crew licensing and training
- Parts 91, 135 and 136 in relation to flight operations
- Part 119 in relation to air operator certification.
While the rules in this Part are specific to manned free balloons, they will be consistent with similar regulations in other Parts.
Administrative regulations and some of the more generally applicable requirements apply in addition to the Part 131 rules. These are the regulations detailed in Parts 1, 11, 13, 21, 31, 39, 45, 47 and 67.
- To consolidate extant rules that are related to entry control, licensing, operations, continuing airworthiness, and personnel training, for private and commercial operations, into a new Part 131. This consolidation will replace the existing Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) and Civil Aviation Order (CAO) requirements.
- To publish balloon regulations that are specifically fit for purpose (manned free balloon operations). These regulations will be supported by a Manual of Standards (MOS).
- To publish Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material (AMC/GM) to assist the aviation community in making practical application of the regulations.
- To allow for a balloon organisation that may administer and oversight sport and recreational activities to issue a private pilot certificate.
- To provide a path for CASA to issue a private pilot licence for pilots trained by an approved pilot training organisation.
This project is associated with:
|Consultation updates in 2019|
|CD 1907OS - Manned free balloons and hot air airships||Comments close 30 September 2019.||10 September 2019|
|Consultation updates in 2008|
|NPRM 0706OS - Balloons used for Non-recreational Operations||Comments to this Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) closed 7 April 2008.||1 February 2008|
|Consultation updates in 2000|
|Project OS 00/08 - Balloons used for non-recreational operations||This project was approved and announced August 2000.||1 August 2000|
Other Part 131 activities
The CASR Part 131 history page includes:
- other projects
Technical lead: Alan Shore, Senior Standards Officer (Balloons)
Policy manager: Manager, Flight Standards Branch