- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project OS 00/04 - CASR Part 129 - Foreign air transport operators - certification and operating requirements
Part 129 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR) was made on 10 December 2015, commenced on 20 April 2016 with transitional arrangements extending to 20 April 2018.
Regulatory requirements related to the conduct of air transport operations by foreign operators and the issue of AOCs for foreign air transport operations have been identified as necessary because:
- current requirements relating to obtaining an AOC have been identified as deficient in a number of areas and changes to the law will be proposed as a consequence
- AOC requirements need to be integrated with and formatted similarly to the other parts under development
- consolidating requirements applicable to foreign operations to Australia is desirable to improve safety.
This project will introduce a Part 129 of CASR that prescribes the requirements for foreign operators operating foreign registered aircraft to, within or from Australian territory on air transport operations that are not regulated domestic flights (as defined in the Civil Aviation Act 1988). Australia is one of several nations that issues AOCs to foreign operators and Part 129 will harmonise with other overseas regulations where appropriate.
The project contains the following key proposals:
- a standard that mandates a common cabin and flight crew member language and that requires flight crew members to be able to communicate with ATC in English
- the use of operations specifications that act as a schedule to the AOC
- a clear assignment of the Part 91 general flight rules that apply to Part 129 operators in Australia
- the refinement of maintenance and airworthiness requirements applicable to aircraft operated by Part 129 operators
- the consolidation in one part of mandatory operating requirements including radio, navigation, ACAS, and TAWS equipment fitment and usage
- restrictions to be placed on the crewing together of inexperienced pilots.
This project is associated with Part 129.
|Consultation updates in 2015|
|Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 129) Regulation 2015||Regulation made 10 December 2015 and commences 20 April 2016.||10 December 2015|
|Consultation updates in 2012|
|Consultation Draft for Part 129 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations - Foreign air transport operators - certification and operating requirements||All comments should be sent via CASA's online response form by close of business 27 September 2012.||23 August 2012|
|Consultation updates in 2008|
|NPRM 0807OS - Passenger Transport Services: terminology in and application of new CASR Parts 119, 121, 129, 131, 133 and 135||This NPRM closed for comment on 6 February 2009.||11 December 2008|
|Consultation updates in 2002|
|NPRM 0218OS - Air operator certification - foreign operators||This NPRM closed for comment on 2 December 2002.||20 September 2002|
|Consultation updates in 2000|
|Project OS 00/04 - CASR Part 129 - Foreign air transport operators - certification and operating requirements||This project was approved and announced November 2000.||1 November 2000|