- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project Leader: Geoff Dickie
Project AS 12/20 - Amendment of MOS Part 172 - Air Traffic Services - Minor changes to ATS standards and procedures
Project closed 27 March 2014. The objective of the project - to update the MOS Part 172 to reflect a number of minor changes to ATS standards and procedures - has been accomplished. A new version of MOS Part 172 incorporating the changes is now in force.
Manual of Standards MOS) Part 172 requires updating to reflect a number of minor changes to ATS standards and procedures. These changes incorporate previously approved CASA exemptions; improvements to standards or improvements in the clarity of the wording.
The required changes include the following topics:
- harmonisation with CASR Part 11;
- voice recording of ATC handover/takeovers;
- incorporating EX06/11 regarding defining of ADS-B accuracy data;
- removal of obsolete 'Surveillance Radar Approach' procedures;
- removal of obsolete 'Radar Cloud Break' procedures;
- Incorporating EX65/ll regarding the use of Wide Area Multilateration Precision Runway Monitor (WAM PRM) at Sydney;
- editorial change to a vertical separation standard to provide more clarity that this standard is not available to military formation flights;
- adding GNSS/RNP Localiser equivalency value to the table detailing 'Tolerances applicable to short range navigation aids';
- removal of an obsolete procedure for ATC to make a broadcast on the appropriate frequency before a parachute jump in Class E airspace; and
- Instruction for the case of a departing helicopter that requires a take-off roll and uses a runway prior to becoming airbome. The current standard only covers arriving helicopters.
The proposed MOS changes in more detail are:
- MOS 172 Chapter I: Introduction:
- Incorporate the CASR Part II amendments (June 20 II) regarding Regulatory Administrative Procedures and the subsequent amendments to CASR Part 172; and minor editorial changes.
- MOS 172 Chapter 9: Documents and Records:
- MOS 172 Chapter 220.127.116.11. Revised wording to require the voice recording of ATC handover/takeover information, where voice recording facilities are available. This information is useful during incident investigations. The current wording requires additional clarity.
- MOS 172 Chapter I0: Standards for the provision of Air Traffic Services:
- MOS 172 Chapter I0.2.1.1 (c) Note. Replace existing note that details ADS-B accuracy data as defined by ICAO Annex 10 as Navigation Uncertainty Category (NUC) NUC-5. This performance criteria was subsequently changed to NUC-4 by CASA Exemption 06/11 which expires on 19th January 2013. CASA subsequently accepted an Airservices submission that the ADS-B performance criteria be NUC-3. A revised table of ADS-B position accuracy and h1tegrity is now required to replace the existing table in MOS I 0.2.1. This change was requested by Airservices.
- MOS 10.2.12. Remove reference to Surveillance Radar Approach (SRA) Procedures. The capability for ATC to use these procedures is no longer available, or required, in Australia (civil or military).
- MOS 10.2.13 and 10.2.9.2. Removal of 'Radar Cloud Break Procedures'. These are superseded procedures and have no head of power (or safety assessment) in ICAO PANS OPS.
- MOS 10.4.2.1 (b). Incorporating the use of Wide Area Multilateration Precision Runway Monitor (WAM PRM) at Sydney. Incorporates CASA Exemption EX65/11 that expires 23/6/2013.
MOS 10.7.11. Vertical separation minima V2 IOOO ft. Editorial amendment required by moving the words "except military formation flights" to the end of the sentence. Editorial change requested by Airservices to improve clarity.
MOS 10.8.3.8. Add GNSS/RNP Localiser equivalency tolerance to Table 10.8-3 -"Tolerances applicable to short range navigation aids". Tolerance of+/- lnm can be applied to that portion of an RNAV-AR approach procedure that overlies the mid track of a published LOC based approach. Requested by Airservices and supported by ICAO SASP and Airservices' Safety Case.
- MOS 10.11.1.3. Parachuting Jumping Exercise. Remove requirement for ATC to make a broadcast on the appropriate frequency before the drop. This is a superseded ATC procedure and it is a pilot requirement (not ATC) to make the appropriate broadcasts prior to the jump. Change requested by Airservices.
- MOS10.13.8. Additional paragraph required to cover the case of a departing helicopter that requires a take-off roll and uses a runway prior to becoming airbome. The current standard only covers arriving helicopters. Change requested by Airservices.
The proposed changes to the MOS Part 172 will improve safety by providing more up to date information to Air Traffic Service providers.
The risk in not implementing these changes is an increased likelihood of inappropriate Air Traffic Standards being applied by the Air Navigation Service provider.
The outcome will be an amended version of MOS Part 172 that incorporates:
- insertion of appropriate references to CASR Part 11 and subsequent changes to CASR Part 172;
- insertion of certain Air Traffic Services standards and procedures that had been temporarily authorised by CASA instruments;
- removal of certain obsolete Air Traffic Services procedures; and
- improved clarity of wording regarding recording of ATC handovers and the use of vertical separation in some circumstances.
This project was approved by Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Division on 15 May 2012.
MOS Part 172
Project Leader: Geoff Dickie
Project Sponsor: Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Division
Standards Officer: Leanne Graham, Section Head, Standards Development Coordination & Administration Section
Standards Consultative Committee (SCC)
|Consultation updates in 2014|
|Project AS 12/20 - Amendment of MOS Part 172 - Air Traffic Services - Minor changes to ATS standards and procedures||
This project is now closed
|27 Mar 2014|
|This final NFC has been published.||17 Mar 2014|
|Consultation updates in 2013|
|NPC 172/05 - Miscellaneous Amendments to Part 172 Manual of Standards (MOS) - Air Traffic Services||Comments to this NPC closed 20 September 2013.||23 Sep 2013|
|NPC 172/05 - Miscellaneous Amendments to Part 172 Manual of Standards (MOS) - Air Traffic Services||Comments close 20 September 2013.||26 Jul 2013|
Consultation updates in 2012
|Project AS 12/20 - Amendment of MOS Part 172 - Air Traffic Services - Minor changes to ATS standards and procedures||Project approved||17 May 2012|