Project AS 10/17 - Airspace and Aerodromes Safety Management System (SMS); Regulation, Manual of Standards, Advisory Material and Aerodrome and SMS Manual Template review and alignment
This project is being restructured to allow work to commence on the Advisory Material for Aerodromes. A new project will be relaunched in 2012 following a reassessment of the project terms of reference and objectives.
Currently, CASR Parts 143, 139 139H, 171, 172 and 173 have a requirement for a certificate holder to develop, implement and maintain an approved Safety Management System. Each of these parts has different SMS regulations, MOS and advisory material. For CASR Part 139, the existing templates for Aerodrome Manuals and Safety Management System Manuals are out of date with regard to contemporary SMS standards and exist outside of the current advisory material framework.
Most of these CASR Parts apply to one organisation being Airservices Australia (AA). In addition, there is a common linkage with all CASR parts, in that Aerodromes and Air Traffic Service provision, Aviation Rescue Fire Fighting and Airways Engineering, are linked due to the physical co-location of some of the services being provided. The differences between each of the MOS and advisory documents have caused difficulties for both the service providers and CASA.
The existing SMS requirements, Regulations, Manual of Standards (MOS) and Advisory material, were developed in the late 1990's and implemented as legislation between 2003 and 2005. There have been, since that time, a number of refinements to the SMS structure within ICAO that have not been incorporated into these existing SMS documents.
The objective of this project is to harmonise the regulations, MOS and advisory material for all CASR parts, in addition the Aerodrome and SMS Manual templates will be revised to suit this revised regulation, MOS and advisory material.
Failure to conduct this review and revision will continue the difficulty for service providers, ATC, Aerodromes etc to meet Australia's responsibilities with regard to ICAO compliant SMS requirements.
It would be expected that organisations that have an approved SMS will be provided a reasonable timeframe to review and improve their SMS in line with the outcomes from this project.
This project has a number of objectives as follows:
- To harmonise the existing regulations, MOS and advisory material for each of the above CASR Parts - as reasonably as practicable.
- To harmonise the resulting SMS requirements with the newly created SMS advisory material created for CASR Part 119 - (CAAPs) SMS -1(0), SMS -2(0), SMS-3(0) where appropriate.
- To provide a single source of SMS advisory material for very closely related components of aviation in Australia; namely Aerodromes, ATC, Aviation Rescue Fire Fighting and Engineering Infrastructure.
- To update the contemporary standards, the SMS requirements for each of these CASR Parts.
- Formalise existing Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP) and Aerodrome guidance material to bring them into line with CASA's current regulatory framework.
- Modernise SMS and aerodrome guidance material to bring it into line with ICAO guidance material and international best industry practice.
- Deliver a new Advisory Circular under CASR Part 139 which will include an integrated aerodrome manual and SMS and extensive guidance on the development and maintenance of aerodrome safety documentation (the deliverable).
- The deliverables will provide support to Australian aerodromes struggling with the implementation of safety management processes.
- The deliverables will promote the status of safety management among all Australian aerodromes.
- The deliverables will lead to a greater level of safety and compliance at Australian aerodromes
These Terms of Reference are a modification of the original project and were approved by Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Development & Future Technology Division on 19 January 2011.
Project Leader: John Seebohm
Project Sponsor: Peter Cromarty, Executive Manager Airspace and Aerodromes Regulation Division
Standards Development Project Manager: Andrew Ward
|Consultation updates in 2011|
|Project AS 10/17 - Airspace and Aerodromes Safety Management System (SMS) Advisory Material Review and Alignment||This project is now closed.
Refer to the project closure notes for further information.
|19 Dec 2011|
|Project AS 10/17 - Airspace and Aerodromes Safety Management System (SMS); Regulation, Manual of Standards, Advisory Material and Aerodrome and SMS Manual Template review and alignment||Title, issue, objective and status amended.||21 Jan 2011|
|Consultation updates in 2010|
|Project AS 10/17 - Airspace and Aerodromes Safety Management System (SMS) Advisory Material Review and Alignment||Project approved.||9 Jul 2010|