- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Project Leader: Greg Diprose
Project AS 09/19 - Amendments to CASR part 172 manual of standards
Project closure notes
Amendments to manual of standards (MOS) part 172 and AIP came into effect on 3 June 2010 to implement class D procedures at former general aviation airport procedures (GAAP) aerodromes, and to standardise procedures at the new and existing class D aerodromes according to US-style class D procedures.
CASA instruments 142/10 and 143/10 were made to give effect to some of the AIP changes and are available on the CASR regulatory structure page.
The latest AIP amendment incorporating the 3 June 2010 is available on the Airservices Australia website.
Read the changes to MOS Part 172.
The revised VFRG is available on the Pilot guides and information page.
Training and education material is available.
Standards require immediate attention as a result of CEO directives and progress in ICAO and developments in Australia. Also, since originally drafted in 1996, there are many obsolete references which require attention.
- CASA has issued a directive to establish class D services at airports currently using general aviation airport procedures (GAAP) by April 2010. This will require several changes to the MoS.
- Wake Turbulence standards need to be brought up to date with ICAO PANS - ATM (Doc 4444) and to formalise the inclusion of standards in respect of the Airbus A380.
- Visual separation standards have been reviewed and will be brought into line with ICAO PANS - ATM (Doc 4444).
- New standards consistent with ICAO recommendations under the general consideration of performance based navigation (PBN) are being progressively implemented.
- Standardisation of separation standards for air traffic control.
- Correction of out of date material.
- Support for necessary changes.
The objective is to complete a notice of proposed change for an up-to-date edition of the Part 172 MoS by 10 December 2009.
This project was approved by Peter Boyd, Executive Manager Standards Development & Future Technology Technology Division on 14 October 2009.
CASR Part 172
Project Leader: Greg Diprose
Project Sponsor: Peter Cromarty, Executive Manager Airspace and Aerodrome Regulation
Project Manager:Jan Goosen
|Consultation updates in 2010|
|Project AS 09/19 - Amendments to CASR part 172 manual of standards||This project is now closed.
Refer to project closure notes for further information.
|29 Jun 2010|
|NFC 172/04 - Changes to general aviation aerodrome procedures (GAAP), class D procedures, and miscellaneous air traffic procedures||NFC 172/04 titled Changes to general aviation aerodrome procedures (GAAP), class D procedures, and miscellaneous air traffic procedures has been published.||1 Jun 2010|
|NPC 172/04 - Changes to general aviation aerodrome procedures (GAAP), class D procedures, and miscellaneous air traffic procedures||Comments to this NPC have now closed.||19 Feb 2010|
|Consultation updates in 2009|
|Project AS 09/19 - Amendments to CASR part 172 manual of standards||Project approved.||15 Oct 2009|