Project AS 06/14 - CASR Part 71 - Airspace
Project Closure Notes
CASR Part 71 was intended to establish a framework of minimum safety standards for the structure and classification of airspace, and the level of air traffic services in classes of airspace. The Airspace Act (2007) and associated Regulations (2007) have superseded the regulatory gap which Part 71 was intended to fill.
Associated information on the Airspace Act (2007) and Airspace Regulations (2007) can be found at: www.casa.gov.au/oar/about/reg.htm.
Original Part 71 background notes
CASR Part 71 will establish a framework of minimum safety standards for the structure and classification of airspace, and the level of air traffic services in classes of airspace. It will also include the standards applicable to the establishment and use of special use areas of airspace.
The Part will introduce a regulatory regime where none currently exists. The administration and regulations will be the responsibility of the new Office of Airspace Regulation (OAR) within CASA.
Who Part 71 affects
- Air traffic service providers;
- Aerodrome operators;
- Australian Defence Force;
- All aviation users of airspace.
- Criteria [standards] for the classification of airspace in accordance with ICAO Annex 11 (classifications A through G inclusive);
- Introduction of an Aeronautical Study process when certain criteria are reached to determine the airspace classification and level of service to be applied; criteria to be based on aircraft movements and the type of operation;
- Standards to enable CASA to specify the levels [kinds] of air traffic service to be provided in Classes A, B, C, D, E and G airspace. This is to give effect to the air traffic control service requirements for separation, safety alerts, traffic information and flight information services;
- Minimum levels of services to be provided by ATS providers in particular airspace classifications;
- Instructions/directions to pilots regarding the use of airspace [Classes A to G, prohibited, restricted, danger areas, or other specified airspace] and the use of aerodromes (controlled and uncontrolled);
- Establishment of criteria for the determination of aerodromes as controlled aerodromes.
Email: Alan Bridges
Standards Consultative Committee (SCC)
|Consultation updates in 2008|
|Project AS 06/14 - CASR Part 71 - Airspace||Project Closed, CASR Part 71 will not be implemented. The Airspace Act (2007) and associated Regulations (2007) have superseded the regulatory gap which Part 71 was intended to fill.||5 Sep 2008|
|Consultation updates in 2006|
|New approach to airspace management||A new rulechange project AS 06/14 has been registered to advance new regulations for Austalian airspace.||18 Oct 2006|