- Publications and resources
- Corporate publications
- Information sheets, checklists and kits
- Online store
- CASA self service
- Flight Safety Australia
- Forms and templates
- Guidance materials
- Manual authoring and assessment tool
- Image gallery
- Manuals and handbooks
- Media hub
- Research and statistics
- Online services
- Temporary management instructions
- The CASA Briefing
- Videos and multimedia
- Regulatory wrap-up
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Private IFR rating examination technical data and information
An aircraft data sheet for VH-PIF will be provided to candidates sitting the CASA PIFR exam.
Unless otherwise stated in the question, the following information applies to all questions in this examination.
PIFR Examination aircraft data
|Maximum AUW||Less than 5700 kg|
|Speed||Cruise TAS 120 knots|
|Maximum manoeuvring speed||95 knots|
|Performance category||Category A|
|Cross-wind component||20 knots maximum for take-off or landing.|
|Down-wind component||10 knots maximum for take-off or landing.|
The aircraft is fully equipped and serviceable for PVT flight under the IFR.
Radio COM and NAV equipment:
- one GNSS unit, TSO-C146a (IFR approved)
- one VOR
- one fixed-card ADF
- one DME
- Mode S transponder (ADS-B Out)
- two VHF radios.
The aircraft is not equipped with oxygen, pressurization, de-icing/anti-icing.
Unless otherwise stated in the question, the examination relates to a PVT flight operating to IFR procedures
Unless otherwise stated in the question, assume all navigation aids and aircraft equipment are serviceable.
Unless otherwise stated in the question, assume that the pilot holds a Private IFR rating with the following Flight Procedure Authorisations:
- navigation using NDB
- navigation using VOR
- navigation using GNSS
- Fuel calculations are based on CAAP 234-1(2) (pdf 1.03 MB) Guidelines for aircraft fuel
- All fuel calculations will be in minutes
- Do not separately plan climbs and descents
- Assume holding consumption equals cruise consumption
- Do not add any time allowance for taxi.