- Publications and resources
- Rules and regulations
- Safety management
- Licences and certification
- About us
Go to top of page
Pilot Instructor Rating Common Examination (PIRC)
Pre-requisite Qualification for PIRC
As the PIRC is an examination leading towards the award of a Flight Instructor Rating, the candidate is required to hold a PPL or higher grade of licence before he/she may be permitted to undertake the examination.
The syllabus for the PIRC is published in CASR Part 61 Manual of Standards – Schedule 3, Section 2.4.
The PIRC is a two-hour examination, consisting generally of 50 multi-choice questions. To qualify for the award of a Pass in the PIRC the candidate must achieve at least 75% in the examination. The PIRC exam has been amended to reflect the newer version of the FAA Aviation Instructor’s Handbook (FAA-H-8083-9B) and CASR Part 61 Manual of Standards, Schedule 3.
CASA reserves the right to reduce the number of questions without prior notice, but when doing so, will not reduce the 2 hours permitted time for the examination.
Suggested study material
The following references are useful study material for the PIRC.
- Aviation Instructor's Handbook (FAA-H-8083-9B) This is the principal reference text.
The FAA have recently amended the text of their Aviation Instructor’s Handbook from the -9A version to the -9B version. The principal reference text for CASA’s PIRC exam is the FAA Aviation Instructor’s Handbook (FAA-H-8083-9B). This version will be the basis for many of the questions.
- A suitable management book on 'motivation'
A candidate is expected to have basic understanding of the theories of motivation proposed by:
- Abraham Maslow's 'Hierarchy of Needs'
- Douglas McGregor 'X & Y' Theory
- Frederick Herzberg '2-Factor' Theory.
While FAA-H-8083-9A provides some short paragraphs on the first two (but mainly on Maslow), most management books provide satisfactory information on the 3 theories.
- Human Factors in Flight by Frank Hawkins or any human factors book on 'memory', 'motivation', 'stress', etc
Optional - to supplement information in the above
- Preparing Instructional Objectives by Robert F Mager
Optional - a useful text on 'behavioural objectives' to compliment FAA-H-8083-9A
- Measuring Instructional Results by Robert F Mager
Optional - additional useful text on 'behavioural objectives'