Part 61 contains the following operational ratings. To conduct an operation you need to hold the correct operational rating and the appropriate endorsements. For example, to conduct mustering in a helicopter, you need to hold a Low-level rating and an aerial mustering helicopter endorsement.
The following operational ratings are in Part 61:
- instrument rating (IR): any flight operation under IFR
- private instrument rating (PIR): a single-pilot operation under IFR in a private operation
- night VFR rating (NVFR): a flight operation at night under VFR (other than NVIS or aerial application operations)
- night vision rating (NVIR): a flight operation at night under VFR using NVIS
- low-level rating (LL): a low-level flight operation (below 500 feet AGL including low-level aerobatics)
- aerial application rating (AA): an aerial application flight operation below 500 feet AGL
- flight instructor rating (FIR): flight training for pilot licences, ratings and endorsements and grant endorsements
- flight examiner rating (FER): to conduct flight tests and proficiency checks, and grant ratings and endorsement
- simulator instructor rating (SIR): to conduct flight training in a flight simulation training device and—where appropriate—grant endorsements.