- Maintenance personnel licensing for small aircraft
This NPRM is issued by CASA with a view to ensuring that Australian aviation safety requirements are current and appropriately address safety risks. CASA’s policies require that the aviation safety regulations must:
- be necessary to address known or likely safety risks
- provide for the most efficient allocation of Industry and CASA resources
- be clear and concise
- where appropriate, be aligned with international standards and drafted in outcome based terms.
The International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Air Navigation Services Training Procedures Doc 9868 now includes the concept of competency-based training and modularised licences as a recommended practice. The small aircraft licence (SAL) proposed by CASA includes these practices. The proposed expansions of Part 66 of CASR and the Part 66 MOS legislation would continue to use the Australian competency-based training system to deliver the training outcomes required for small aircraft licences and endorsements.
The Part 66 licence system already provides for small aircraft licensing but uses exclusions to provide the required tailored outcomes. During consultation with industry, the very strong response was that the privileges of any future small aircraft licence needed to be expressed in a positive sense. The members of the Part 66 small aircraft maintenance licence working group agreed to a small aircraft licence structure, the detail of which is provided within this NPRM.
The proposed small aircraft licence would be available to new applicants who have completed the relevant Certificate IV in Aeroskills (Mechatronics Training Course). CASA is not proposing to reissue existing B1.1, B1.2, B1.3, B1.4 and B2 category licences as small aircraft licences. Part 66 licences' current small aircraft maintenance certification and Certificate of Release to Service privileges would continue without any change.
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
25 September 2014
- NPRM 1310SS - Preamble (372KB)
- ANNEX A - Response Form (44KB)
- ANNEX B - SOR to DP (2.86MB)
- ANNEX C - Elementary Work Task Listings for Small Aircraft (80KB)
- ANNEX D - Units of Competency (180KB)
- ANNEX E - Samples small aircraft licences (1.05MB)
This NPRM closed for comment 21 November 2014.