Notice of Proposed Rule Making -
Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members – Proposal to update Civil Aviation Order (CAO) Part 48
This Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) relates to rules for the management of fatigue in flight crew members (FCMs). The proposal articulates a shared responsibility between individuals and operators, which is consistent with the philosophy of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). This NPRM also contains proposed prescriptive limitations for FCMs, as well as standards for fatigue risk management systems (FRMS). Accompanying the proposed regulatory standards is a proposed Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) intended to provide guidance to individuals and operators in meeting their obligations.
At present, CASA regulates flight and duty times for FCMs via CAO Part 48. This largely prescriptive legislation also permits operators to be exempt from its provisions (subject to CASA approval) via two alternative means:
- prescriptive limitations contained in Standard Industry Exemptions (SIEs) which are ‘class of operation’ specific; and
- safety case-based FRMS.
The emergent science on fatigue management within the last decade has shown that there is a need for regulatory bodies in transport industries, and operators, to become more aware of human performance limitations and to organise work practices so that the resultant operational safety risk is kept within acceptable boundaries. This issue is highlighted further as aircraft become more sophisticated, and may fly for longer periods, together with a growing trend towards shift work.
It was determined that a graduated approach in the new regulatory standards was most appropriate. The first level refers to a very simple system that was somewhat restrictive (Tier 1). Next would be a broader prescriptive regime with operator and individual obligations (Tier 2). The final stage of complexity/maturity is where an operator would manage most fatigue risk through a FRMS (Tier 3).
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
- NPRM 1202OS - Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members – Proposal to update Civil Aviation Order (CAO) Part 48
- Annex A - Proposed Amendments to the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR 1988)
- Annex B - Proposed Regulatory Standards for Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members
- Annex C - Proposed Civil Aviation Advisory Publication – CAAP 48-1(0) – Fatigue Management for Flight Crew Members