Notice of Proposed Rule Making
NPRM 1105AS - CNS/ATM Plan for this decade - Aircraft avionics equipage mandates for satellite-based IFR navigation, Mode S/ADS-B transponders and forward fitment of TCAS II version 7.1
This Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) is issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) with a view to ensuring that Australian aviation safety requirements are current and appropriately address safety risks.
CASA’s policies require that the aviation safety regulations must:
- be necessary to address known or likely safety risks;
- provide for the most efficient allocation of Industry and CASA resources;
- be clear and concise; and
- where appropriate, be aligned with international standards and drafted in outcome based terms.
This NPRM proposes mandatory avionics equipment fitment to certain aircraft to introduce:
- satellite-based navigation for flight under the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) and as the geographic position source for Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) transmission;
- Mode S/ADS-B transponders to provide modern electronic surveillance capability for the safety and efficiency of air traffic management (ATM); and
- Traffic Collision Alert and Avoidance System (TCAS) II Version 7.1 as forward fitment to newly manufactured turbine powered commercial passenger transport aircraft in accordance with the international standard.
The mandates as proposed involve the amendment of regulatory material in the existing Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.18 (for GNSS, Mode S and ADS-B) and the existing Regulation 262AA-AJ of Civil Aviation Regulations (1988) (CAR) for TCAS II Version 7.1. The proposed legal text of the amendments is set out in Annexes E and F respectively of this NPRM. (At a later time, the regulatory provisions will be transferred to Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (1998) (CASR) Parts 91, 121 and 135 as relevant, following the publication of those Parts).
How to respond
Comment period now closed.
Contact: Brian Harris, Project Leader
- Addendum to NPRM 1105AS
- NPRM 1105AS - CNS/ATM Plan for this decade - Aircraft avionics equipage mandates for satellite-based IFR navigation, Mode S/ADS-B transponders and forward fitment of TCAS II version 7.1
- Annex A - Proposed GNSS Navigation Equipment Mandates
- Annex B - Proposed Mode S Transponder Equipment Mandates
- Annex C - Proposed ADS-B Equipment Mandates
- Annex D - Proposed TCAS II V7.1 Equipment Mandate
- Annex E - Proposed Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.18 Amendment Instrument
- Annex F - Proposed Civil Aviation Regulation 1988 (CAR 1988) 262AA-AJ Amendment Instrument
- Annex G - List of the Backup Navigation Aid Network
- Annex H - Consolidated Summary of Comments / Responses received, CASA's Response and Disposition Actions to DP 1102AS